My friend is has been stuck at Army boot camp for 26 weeks.. is this legal?

So, I have a friend of mine who joined the Army, and went to boot camp March 13th, of 2019. He hasn't come back. He's 21, and suffered a spinal cord injury 6 weeks into boot camp. He's been stuck there ever since. The thing is, he says even though he's still in recovery, he's still going... show more So, I have a friend of mine who joined the Army, and went to boot camp March 13th, of 2019. He hasn't come back.

He's 21, and suffered a spinal cord injury 6 weeks into boot camp. He's been stuck there ever since. The thing is, he says even though he's still in recovery, he's still going through the motions of regular boot camp i.e. training, hard labor, stuff like that.

My only question is, if he's injured like that, shouldn't they have sent him home? Why keep him so long? It's going on the 27th week of him being there. I understand the Army takes care of his recovery, but it just seems so drastic to keep him there.