Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 5 months ago

My Dad is really toxic? Advice?

I love with my parents going to college. My mom is the complete opposite I don’t know how she deals with my dad. My mom is disabled due to a work injury she ripped her hamstring off her hipbone and cannot walk the same. My dad, He’s a very negative person. Always looking at the negative side of life. He’s an alcoholic, jumps from job to job, starts drinking heavily, gets severely sick and then ends up not going to work. Hid it from me that he wasn’t paying the mortgage for five months, now our house is in the pre foreclosure process. I live in New York State, only was staying with my parents so I can go full time to college. I have about two and a half years left. I am having the internal dilemma whether or not I should move out with my girlfriend who lives in Ohio, go to another college and live on campus so I can focus on my studies and quit my paid internship I currently have. I don’t know what to do I feel torn

I'd talk to Mom and try to find out what her game plan is. Unless she's just waiting for the bank to make them homeless she must have something up her sleeve for how to salvage their lives. Once you know they're going to be able to keep a roof over their heads you can go off and do whatever you want.

do what is best for YOU. You have absolutely no control over what your mother does about her relationship with your father. And less control over what your father does with his own life.

Worry about YOU.

And if you move in with the girlfriend, i hope you two have a good relationship? Otherwise, that's going to blow up in your face.

• Alan H

You would be wise to join Al a teen. They will give good support

Oh look! It's you with another version. Surprise!

"Hid it from me that he wasn’t paying the mortgage for five months"

- last I checked a parent is not required to tell their college aged kid their financial matters (and most wouldn't).

• A Hunch

Pre-Forclosures can take years to turn into foreclosures and then more years to be foreclosed, if it ever even happens.