Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

My mother is emotionally/verbally abusive and controlling. If she dies, I plan on not attending her funeral. Is what I’m doing wrong?

NO it is not "wrong" you have the right to attend ot not as you choose

yeah I am over my mom too. She let her way younger boyfriend treat us like crap and does nothing.she sued my grandma who custody of us and her boyfriend hates having us here.

NO! There's nothing wrong of letting go what's not good for you. Unfortunately, we don't get to choose our parent's before we were born. I've let go of my mom too, because she was toxic, controlling and narcissistic. You're entitled to your inner peace of mind. Don't feel guilty of letting go what's toxic!

No. You are not wrong for not loving your mother.

Just because many people do love their parents, does not mean that

has to be that way for everyone.

It's up to you. My father died several years ago and i didn't go to his funeral. Why bother? I have two sisters, one went, the other did not. the one who went had designs on getting something from him out of my father's Will..... surprise! He left it all to his wife and step son.

How did i know that was going to happen?

Some people aren't worth our time, i don't care who they are

You are just angry and not thinking clearly. When you calm down, chances are you will again be able to think of all the nice things your mother has done for you and how much she cares about you, and you for her. Funerals are not solely about honoring the deceased, but also about being supportive of friends and family that are still living, and you not showing up will only serve to insult them, not your Mom.

You do what is right for you.

My mom's treatment towards me was much the same as what you describe. She never had a kind word to say and constantly put me down. Yet when she passed, I was devastated because no matter how horrible she was to me I loved her anyway. I never knew what I had done to make her hate me so much but I forgave her.

• choko_canyon

And you realize now that she didn't hate you, right? That this was all her own dysfunction, not yours?

All trolls are attention-whores, but not all attention-whores are trolls. Which are you?

If she lives until she is, say, 95, how far ahead are you planning? (I know a 99 year old who has only just given up driving!)

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc. Can you help her to build up her self esteem, perhaps?

thats up to you if you want to go to her funeral or not, but if youre underage you can call cps and they might put you somewhere else or if youre older move out