Vanessa asked in TravelAir Travel · 9 months ago

My friend took a trip to south africa and ended up giving birth. Her flight is next week will she be able to fly with baby?

My friend took a trip to south africa and she was pregnant she wasn t due for another month . She had the baby yesterday my question is her flight is next week how fast can she get baby registered as a us citizen and back home with her?

She makes an appointment with the US Embassy or nearest US Consulate to register the birth of the child.

https://www.usembassy.gov/south-africa/

She applies for the child's US passport and USA social security number at the same time. As long as she is a US citizen who has lived in the USA for at least five years (two of which after her 14th birthday) then she is a US citizen who can pass on citizenship to her child.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/interna...

The average processing time from registration to getting the child's passport is about 15 days. If she must return to the USA in a week then the Consulate can issue an emergency travel document.

Warning: If your "friend" is someone you know only from he Internet then it is almost certainly an attempt to scam you.

Take this test. It is specifically about Nigerian scammers but it works for all African scammers.

https://www.romancescam.com/cgi-bin/scamtest.cgi?a...

I'm really surprised she was allowed to make such a long flight just one month from her due date.

She'll need to get a passport / emergency travel papers for the baby. Tell her to speak to the US embassy.

• MS

She'll need to contact the US Embassy in South Africa. They can expedite documents, such as passports, but I really don't know how long it will take. I think there's a good chance that she won't be able to make that flight; the embassy can also help negotiate a change with the airline.

I'm surprised she was allowed to fly internationally so late in her pregnancy.

Probably not that fast. I know someone who was working in another country and got pregnant. She was told it could take up to 6 months for the paperwork to be processed for the baby to have a US passport.

She should contact the airline and ask what they require, then obtain any necessary documents.

i dont see why she couldnt,she needs to ask immigration about it