Does landlord cover water damage? all belonging destroyed.?

There is damage in my apartment. we live in 1st floor and bathroom ceiling leaks sometimes cause they said building pipe broke or something. they say they would fix but they haven't yet. and today it leaked through closet ceiling and destroyed all the winter clothes, book, smelly, suitcase, literally everything was wet and smelly. room started to smell thats why i opened the closet, god knows when it leaked and destroyed all my belongings. I have to walk couple blocks away even to do laundry and so much work it wash all these things. building supervisor told us to take pictures and show them to landlord so it covers the damage.Now I made appointment and went to talk to them, they said since i dont have rental insurance, they don't cover the damage. I don't know much about this, but its not flood damage, not raining some damage. its something wrong with this building i live. they are just gonna come and paint tommrow thats all. I have to take my time and can't even rest and go wash all this thing paying my own money to do laundry and all.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • R P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Read your lease. More than likely you will find a clause the lets you know your belongings are not covered by the landlord's insurance and that you should obtain renter's insurance. Since you failed to do so, the cost to repair or clean your belongings is on you.

That said - you can try to sue the landlord since they did not repair the pipe in a timely manner. But it is on you to be able to prove that to a judge. AND! If you win, you will only be awarded what your belongings are worth now (not how much you paid for them)

Source(s): FL landlord
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

In this case, they are liable because they knew of the problem and did not repair, they are negligent.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The leak/issue/problem didn't occur "today"... it occurred when the leak occurred. But the mildew hadn't set-in and no one knew the closest was a problem until today. The landlord can't fix something they don't know about.

• Pam
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Wait a minute! They can't just walk away from it because you don't have rental insurance. If the leak and busted pipe came from inside a wall, that's the LANDLORD'S RESPONSIBILITY! Take pictures and keep documentation of everything that was damaged. Put a price on it and let him know that you expect reimbursement or you will see him in court. If he calls your bluff, take him to small claims court with your pictures and evidence and SUE HIM!

• moonlight8 months agoReport

They knew the problem and told us too when we complain there’s leak in bathroom walls and hall way. We had to put bucket. They said water was coming from walls. And this happens often not just one or two times. They still haven’t come to fix it. As I said paint, they still haven’t.

• 8 months ago

A landlord's insurance doesn't cover damage to a tenant's property.

• ...Show all comments
    • SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

you need to read other answers and educate yourself...even if you think i am wrong about LL being liable for negligence....LOOK IT UP instead of giving an ignorant answer

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

If you had renters insurance, you would have some coverage for this. And that is why you always have renters insurance. But you don't.

If the landlord is negligent, just saying, 'because you don't have renters insurance, we aren't responsible' is a lie. If the landlord is negligent in some way, the landlord is responsible. You can sue the landlord for depreciated value of what you lost. You won't get replacement cost.

But you must prove that the landlord knew there was a problem and failed to do anything about it and the problem became worse to the point your property was damaged.

I don't know how you are going to do that. You can hire your own expert to come in and determine the cause of the leaks. You will have to pay for that expert. If you sue and win, you can ask for that money. You need to properly document your damaged items, photograph everything, show the damage, perhaps get other experts to state that they cannot be cleaned and are ruined. If they can be cleaned, you can ask for the cleaning to be paid for in your lawsuit.

The people that win are the people that fight hard. You can't just sit and do nothing, you must lead the fight, get experts to help you fight.

• A
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You should have renters insurance to cover your property, The landlord has insurance to cover his building and property.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

try educating yourself...if damage is due to NEGLIGENCE, the negligent party (landlord) is liable...all you had to do was read my answer and research if you didn't believe it.

• 8 months ago

Normally no.. that's why you should have rental insurance to cover your own belongings.. It's very cheap & where I live all apts. are beginning to require it before you sign the lease.

• 8 months ago

Landlord insurance will not pay for your stuff. Even if you could prove they were grossly negligent (which they aren't here), you'd still have a very tough fight just to get the Actual Cash Value on your stuff.

For reference, the ACV on your clothing is a fraction of its cost to replace...

Consider this a very expensive lesson and buy renters insurance moving forward...nothing you can do about this claim now.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

How would your OWN insurance allow more of a payout than the landlord's insurance? In either case, the landlord's negligence is a factor to consider.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

LL is responsible for their insurance to cover such however YOUR property is covered by YOUR RENTER'S INSURANCE.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

LL also responsible for NEGLIGENCE

• Eva
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

That's why you're supposed to have renter's insurance. The landlord is not responsible for your belongings.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Your own insurance may cover your belongings (if you have renter's insurance) and then sue whomever is actually responsible for the damage, i.e., the landlord. Without your own insurance, you simply sue the landlord and anyone else involved in damaging your belongings.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.