Who was wrong in this situation?

I’ve been in Britain for a week and this morning I got on a commuter train at the first stop, put my bag on the seat next to me, and put my headphones on and zoned out. I did not notice the train was filling up and after 30 minutes some guy comes by, looking annoyed, and grabs my bag and puts it in the overhead,... show more I’ve been in Britain for a week and this morning I got on a commuter train at the first stop, put my bag on the seat next to me, and put my headphones on and zoned out. I did not notice the train was filling up and after 30 minutes some guy comes by, looking annoyed, and grabs my bag and puts it in the overhead, and sits down. I told him not to touch my stuff ever again and we got into a mini-shouting match.

Who was wrong in this situation? I on the train first, shouldn’t I have the right to take my seats first?