Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 10 months ago

Who was wrong in this situation?

I’ve been in Britain for a week and this morning I got on a commuter train at the first stop, put my bag on the seat next to me, and put my headphones on and zoned out. I did not notice the train was filling up and after 30 minutes some guy comes by, looking annoyed, and grabs my bag and puts it in the overhead, and sits down. I told him not to touch my stuff ever again and we got into a mini-shouting match.

Who was wrong in this situation? I on the train first, shouldn’t I have the right to take my seats first?

• RR

You were wrong. You have no right to taker up two seats unless to paid for and reserved two seats.

The person who moved your bag was good enough to put it in the rack and not just chuck it on the floor.

• GEEGEE

You were both wrong, but you more so than him. You have your right to one seat, not two. He should have given you the opportunity to move the bag yourself. Perhaps he didn't think you'd move it, so that's why he did.

You were in the wrong - of course you can sit (lucky you; many commuters can't), but you don't get a seat for your bag too.

It's your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings. If you saw him looking annoyed, you surely also saw the train fill up.

• John P

You had no right to use another seat as a form of convenience for yourself. Possibly the other chap should have woken you up gently and asked you to take your bag of a seat which was needed; but he was certainly in the right to tell you that the seat was needed. The price of your ticket does not entitle you to occupy more than one seat, which you were doing.

• Betty

You were in the wrong....bags are not permitted to take up seats on a busy train.That's why there are overhead racks.

You were seats are for people not bags. Commuter trains are always full.

You have the right to take more than one seat as long as you have booked one ticket per seat and reserved those seats. Buying a train ticket with no reservation does not entitle you to actually sit down on a seat.

• Clive

Seats are for PEOPLE, not bags. You were wrong in this situation.

One seat is All you get.

• John

Only Americans think that train seats are luggage holding devices. Others have actual manners. Even asking the question shows that you are missing something. And I'm American, BTW.