Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

would it be a good idea to sand and spray Rust prevention paint on an old drive shaft to keep it from rusting and causing U-Joints to fail?

I remember a guy who was going to do some drive shaft repair telling me that on one of my trucks that he could see rust forming on the u-joints and that once you start seeing rust, that he recommends replacing them. So what if I sanded the rust off and sprayed some rust prevention primer and then paint on them?

Rust on the outside of the shaft or joints is of little consequence - it's whether the internals of the joint are lubricated that counts - that's where the stresses and wear are.

Some joints are disassembled and repacked with grease at intervals - some have fittings for periodic lubrication. There's usually enough grease around the joint (from packing, lubing or thrown out from use) to prevent rust in any critical area.

Paint the driveshaft for appearance if you wish.

Chrome plating is better than paint.

• arther

you could probably buy 2 new ubolts that hold the uni on for the same price as a spray can of cold gald