How can I leave this relationship?

Basically, I have been back with my ex husband for a couple of years. The relationship is going no where. But he seems to have this hold over me, and I am finding it very difficult to leave him - I did it before, but ended up coming back. He can be manipulative and controlling and talks to me like dirt to be... show more Basically, I have been back with my ex husband for a couple of years. The relationship is going no where. But he seems to have this hold over me, and I am finding it very difficult to leave him - I did it before, but ended up coming back. He can be manipulative and controlling and talks to me like dirt to be honest. But he can also be very nice. Sometimes you can not fix something thats been broke for too long. I have a hard time talking to him about things, so much so, I have given up telling him things as he shoots me down all the time. So now its easier to keep quiet. I have actually now gone as far as getting my own place which I love. He does not know about this, I spend my time between the two - telling him I am working away etc. Financially this is putting a real strain on me, I am paying my own bills, but then he expects me to pay half for his place also. I just cant talk to him about anything. I am putting his needs in front of my own all because I am scared and don't know what to do. I feel guilty thats the problem. Has anyone been in a simular situation before? I hardly see friends and family because he doesnt like it, he expects me to be with him all the time. If I want to go out, I have to give him notice.....then he will just make digs at me, like I left him on his own etc.....this is not the life I want, but i am too scared to deal with it, I need some advice. I tried leaving a note the first time, this didnt work. I dont know what to do for the best.
5 answers 5