Anonymous

Is working at a machine shop as a machinist a good job or even considered a career?

I am 19yrs old and was given this opportunity with a good pay above the minimum wage. I am happy working there but I never thought or imagined working in a machine shop I had always wanted to work with cars or in construction and eventually work towards being an entrepreneur. I know this is something that is really all up to me and what I like but I would like to hear others opinions and get pros & cons.

• Sky

Yes, machinist is a career, and yes it can be a very good job. Skilled machinists can make excellent money, especially if they start their own business. If it's something you enjoy doing, definitely consider starting the training either with a trade school or with someone willing to take you on as an apprentice for training.

If you truly have ambitions like you list in your question, then if you feel you have the aptitude and personal drive to succeed in those fields you should at least give yourself a chance. Don't forgo the opportunity now while you're young and able. You no doubt would regret this in the future. You'd be forever wondering if you could have.

Every day in machine shops across America, drill presses, lathes and milling machines are cutting and grinding metal into precisely the right shape.

Over the past few decades, machine shops have changed a lot. Machine shops used to be just dark, dirty, loud and unpleasant places. Today many have become clean, well-lit, high-tech workplaces. Machinists get to apply their skills and creativity to exciting projects in almost any industry where precision parts are necessary.

But one thing hasn’t changed at all.

They’re always hiring. There are a ton of job opportunities for machinists.

Are you still in the foot hill of California? I am near the foothils and am looking for a machinist position, been in the business for 15 years, moved from Chicago, Il to Sacramento, CA looking for work, so far nothing.