Xen asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

Looking for a small dog breed that likes to swim.?

I’m looking for a dog breed that is under 20lbs and likes to swim. Or at least doesn’t hate water. I don’t care how much it is or what it looks like.

Definitely a Basset hound.

here are the breeds dogs that really like to go swimming and like to jump in the water . but it better not get small dogs because they can drown and some cant swim that good in water and is afraid of it too. it better get a big or medium size dogs instead .

german shepherd dog

golden retriever

otter hound

duck tolling retriever

curly coated retriever

labrador retriever

chesapeake bay retriever

flat coated retriever

standard poodle

irish water spaniel

portuguese water dog

welsh springer spaniel

clumber spaniel

english springer spaniel

That would come down to the individual dog.

Tho Id say that a toy or mini poodle or one of the smaller spaniels would be most likely to enjoy water than other small breeds.

Go thru shelter osr rescue and find a dog to adopt that enjoys water

• Hannah

I'm not sure what kind of small dog breeds like water.. most of them don't like water, but not all. It really depends on the dog and what they grew up with. My dogs love the water. Well my youngest one likes the water more than my oldest one, because she is growing up around water a lot. So she just goes nuts for it. My other one didn't really grow up around water too much, he will play fetch in it, but won't go in it otherwise. They are border collies (med sized dogs)

Then go to a shelter and find one to adopt. Most small dogs are pretty crappy swimmers, though.

Not so sure I know of a small breed.. All my small dogs kinda hate water.. Kinda depends on personality too, some dogs randomly love water, so either you go to shelters and find one that gets excited when they get to a pool, or adopt whatever one you like and make the pool the fun activity that they get to look forward to all the time, which will help them grow to love swimming as they mature into adulthood.

I suppose a poodle would work (the larger -Standard size) were originally used for retrieving. The smaller poodle breeds (toy is 6-12 lbs) and (the miniature, is 12-17 lbs.) have not been used for hunting but since they have the same coat & might still swim & like water.

Cocker Spaniels (if you can buy from - actual hunting lines) could be an option. And the Boykin Spaniel (state breed for SC) is an OUTSTANDING water dog & retriever, and the females run close to the size you need; at 25-35 lbs.

Very FEW toy breeds have the right coat or body structure, to be good swimmers.

miniature poodle