Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

I recently hired a repairman to install a double oven for my mom. He used an app on his phone called "Square" to type in her credit card..?

Update:

Info. Is this app trustworthy and do I need to worry about him stealing money from us??

Update 2:

My mom read her credit card info aloud to him and he typed it into his app. He's the one who suggested we use the app instead of writing a check..

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

That's a common and well-used Point of Sale app, whereby the tradesman can collect payment there and then rather than your mom having to write out a check, him having to pay it into his bank account and then waiting for it to clear. Nothing to worry about.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

This is common with many businesses. It is reputable. She should have received a receipt via her email.

• y
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Very common, just as trustworthy as swiping in almost every large chain out there.

• 8 months ago

That app is entirely safe. If he was going to steal from you, the app wouldn't be relevant. Merely SEEING the card gives him everything he needs to commit fraud. Seeing a check would also provide enough information.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

It's a perfectly safe credit card app. At least as safe as any other credit card transaction.

Your mom should keep her credit safe by checking her statements every month.

• 8 months ago

thats probably how he gets paid for doing it

• 8 months ago

call her credit card company and ask them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.