What are standards for University oboe auditions?

The audition requirements state that scales should be played 2 octaves, but when I asked about A as an example, I was told it isn't standard, so it would not be required. I am not sure how high "standard" reaches. As of right now, I am playing 2 octaves up to F. Should I go to G for college auditions? Also, should the chromatic scale be played from the lowest note to the highest I can play, or should it be C to C?

Just to be clear, I do not intend on being a fulltime musician and I am not going to a prestigious conservatory. I will be going to a regular university. I am also curious as to whether you guys are speaking specifically about OBOE. The only scales I am aware of that you CAN play 3 octaves on are the Bb - C scales and those are incredibly high and outside of the written range of the instrument. The oboe has a similar range to the saxophone. It is not like the clarinet. Like I said in my original post, I am not expected to play certain scales at 2 octaves. I fully intend to play MORE than is expected of me. I am just asking to feel confident that I have done more than enough to have my choice of the schools I am auditioning for.

• bluebellbkk

Blake, it can get confusing if the Asker posts among the answers. If you have something to add you should click on Edit and post an Update.

Unless you are applying to some third rate State school, learn all 15 major scales, minimum of 2 octaves -three if possible for some. All arpeggios. My students also know all scales in thirds. Then - all 3 forms of every minor scale - and arpeggios. Also in various articulations. What is listed on their site for etudes and for literature is a MINIMUM. Your own fine private teacher who is a professional oboist (NOT your band director! Or someone who says they teach ALL woodwinds!) will assist you. Unless you get into, thru, and then graduate from a TOP Music conservatory, you will not have any chance of full time employment as an oboist. They are only 8 full time orchestras in the US now - the rest are per-service. And you are competing with all the ones graduated from the last ??? years. Good luck - but this is harder than getting into med school while also playing for the NBA.

Source(s): Made every single dollar in my life since 1973 in professional music performance, education, and adjuducation. Multiple conservatory degrees, and billions of hours of practice. Including today . . .
    • Pallmall899 months agoReport

That's like saying- please play a B sharp scale...… There is no key signature for that, the enharmonic is C.. It is a C scale, not it's enharmonic equivalent.

At a music conservatory, all music students should be able to play all 12 major scales at least 2 octaves( if you can do more than 2 that is even better) . Chromatic scale should demonstrate your instruments range, so would go for the lowest note that you can play at a good sound.

Apart from scales, be sure to learn your orchestral excerpts and start practicing different solo works like sonatas and concerti. Best of luck to you!

• Mamianka

Yes, you cited a synthetic scale. But within the domain of no DOUBLE alterations, F# and Gb exist as an enharmonic pair.. B/Cb. C#/Db. None of these have double accidentals. I *taught* Theory 1 - and many others and areas beyond - for decades. There are 15 scales. 6 are in enharmonic pairs.

A baby has to enroll in the school