What do you think of the band Styx?

For me I thought they were a hit and miss band

Favorite Answer

Styx had a lot of worthy songs on the charts, such as Renegade, Babe, Come Sail Away, Lady,

Mr. Roboto, Best Of Times, and Too Much Time On My Hands. Funny enough, millennials are very fond of Renegade, but that is the only song I just mentioned that ISN'T a top 10 hit.

Their 80's and 70's material differ enough where opinions sway, but they generally have songs structured in a way that make the tunes progress more adventurously without being nearly as progressive as other bands.

With all that said though, they just don't appeal to everyone. There's just enough people who don't bite that Styx isn't perceived as the most desirable band.

Then again, there is a good number of people that don't want to admit they like Styx, again, because of how they are perceived. So if you like them, like them. If you don't, then don't. Either way, they've made a positive contribution to music, at the very least with their earlier content.

Domo arigato Mr Roboto

They're not my type of music

Styx was a little bit before my time (I was born right around the time they were becoming successful). My Dad made an interesting observation about them. He said their songwriting was unspectacular (not terrible--just nothing groundbreaking about it) but their forte was that they were a very, very good band live.

Styx was the band that got me obsessed with classic rock and for that reason I always will like them. They were my favorite band for most of high school. My favorite bands now are The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, and The Rolling Stones. My favorite era of them is Equinox to Pieces of Eight. My favorite songs by them from the Wooden Nickel days are Best Thing, Lady, You Need Love, I'm Gonna Make You Feel It, Winner Take All, and Rock & Roll Feeling. My all time favorite by them now is Miss America. My favorite songs after the 1975 to 1978 albums are Lights, Borrowed Time, First Time, She Cares, The Best of Times, Don't Let It End, Double Life, Haven't We Been Here Before, Cold War, Just Get Through Tonight, Love at First Sight, and Carrie Ann. They weren't a bad group but there's groups I like better.

• They got better when Tommy Shaw joined the band.

Don’t know who that is.

My favorite band of all time. I have almost everything they've made.

Meh~ In the Midwest promoters used Styx, Foghat and a couple other bands as concert fill-ins in the 70's. I probably saw them at least couple of times without meaning to.

Styx only has 1 or 2 one hit wonders and that is about it. They are no different than Yes or John Lennon, who only had 1 hit when he was solo.

I agree. They had some pretty good rocking songs in their mid period through albums like Equinox and Grand Illusion, but DeYoung drifted off into bland pop ballads a little too often for my tastes. Sometimes the theatricality worked but mostly it didn't.