Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 months ago

Do you think women are pressured by society for having kids?

Every time I am asked whether I want kids and I reply with I don't want kids I'm made to look like weird , however I don't hear men being asked the same question, why is this? Why are women pressured into being a mother? why should a women be made to feel bad for wanting to focus on her career just like men?

• Logan

Women are pressured because they are the ones capable of birthing a child and there's a limited amount of time in which it is not so dangerous to do so.

It's also got to do with traditional roles between men and women. Another thing is that if you want to have kids you need to really plan for it. Having them on a whim can screw you over for the next 20 years while they grow up.

You either have them young and put off having a career or you get a career and then, once you're in a good place you have kid and potentially loose your job for the next 1 to 5 years whilst you wait for the kid to age into school.

You cannot have a child without in-depth planning. That's the rush now.

But, you know, if you don't want kids then you don't want kids.

I never paid attention; I had kids because I wanted to. In the end you decide not any one else.

• Alesha

It not so much pressured as simply they wonder why your feminine instincts aren't pressuring you into it. The same as guys are supposed to man up and find a decent, steady job and provide for the eventuality of having a family and kids. What is frightening to the olders set is a lot of the younger set have literally signed off from that whole scenario period.

Yes. We men are too pressured by our society to get married and have children. Cuz I'm from a hellhole nation.

• Zirp

Questions about the answerer are not allowed here.

Some people don't think for themselves. They just do what "everybody" is doing. You happen to be different, and they can't handle that

no I do not think that. tell those busy bodies to mind their own business and let them look weird at you then

cause they think all women should have kids,ive never had any myself

• Elana

I think you're suffering from selective bias: You only hear what you expect to hear.

Men DO get asked. Women also get encouragement to pour heart and soul into career.

The biggest pressure for women to have kids is millions of years of evolution. If they didn't have that pressure, the species would not exist.

I am a woman who never had kids and I don't feel that way. No one has ever asked me when I'm going to have kids or why I don't have them. I once worked with a woman who talked about her kids all the time, and one day she announced "People who don't have kids are just SELFISH." Maybe so, but my life is my own and I can do as I please. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent.

Like men are pressured by society to "Man up" woman in a sense are pressured to "woman up". For instance yes many likely do feel obligated to have children like the man is expected to jump in front of a bullet.