Is it legal to not fix up the house we rented but now fix it up for new tenants?

When my husband & i rented a house, the landlady told us she would be fixing things up. We trusted her & didn't get it in writing. She did very little in the five years we rented from her. We felt sorry for her because she's old & she has had health problems. It was difficult putting up with all... show more When my husband & i rented a house, the landlady told us she would be fixing things up. We trusted her & didn't get it in writing. She did very little in the five years we rented from her. We felt sorry for her because she's old & she has had health problems. It was difficult putting up with all the things that were wrong. Now that we've moved we drove by & see all kinds of things are being done. Where did the landlady suddenly get the money she said she didn't have to do all this? We don't feel this is fair. We always paid our rent on time, & we wonder now if she saved our rent to now improve the property. We see from the ad she is now only wanting to rent it for $200.00 more. We would have loved for the house we rented from her to look as good as it does now. Is this legal to do? We had to move because we couldn't take nothing ever being done. She didn't ask us to move, but we finally got fed up. Now we are staying with friends & searching desperately to find our own place to rent.
18 answers 18