can you fix a lemon car?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Sure. It is like a growth of cancer. If the engine is faulty...take it out and replace with a different engine of a different size from a different year that proved not to be faulty...or Live with it. If it is electrical faults, learn to live with it and how to continually fix it. They are not making lemons anymore when they can offer a 5 year warranty.

. If it is under-powered; that is not a fault. That is the car and what you get.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Yes, I could at one time but I retired and closed my repair shop about 5 years back.

• 8 months ago

Can I? No, I lack the necessary mechanical skills and licensing to be able to do so.

• 8 months ago

Time after time, after time sure.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I don't need to, but thanks for asking.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No. No car can ever be fixed.

• 8 months ago

There are many trade auctions of “lemon cars”.

Sometimes the dealers who accept lemons back decide that they’re not worth their own time and reputation in repairing them and risking further problems, so they dispose of them at trade auctions which are not open to the general public.

Used car traders and car repair workshops then buy them at significant discounts, ideally with the intention of identifying and properly fixing them so that they can make a profit upon resale.

But some will just make “quick and dirty” repairs and possibly pose as private treaty sellers to make a fast and dishonest profit, and others will do the job properly but then find additional faults which will render the vehicle unprofitable. Those ones then usually go back into a trade auction to minimise their losses on that individual vehicle.

As with all used car trading, it’s a numbers game: you aim to sell enough cars at a decent profit to comfortably offset the occasional vehicle you take a loss on.

• 8 months ago

It depends on why it's a lemon...

In most states a "lemon" is a car that has been in the shop 3 times for the same repair during the first 2 years on the road.

Thus, for some cars it can be something extremely minor like the moonroof motor stopped working.... for others, it will be the engine blew up.

Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes. But you have to ask yourself whether it’s worth it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.