Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 months ago

Which of the following is an opinion and NOT a subjective preference?

a) I hate going to the gym because it makes me feel terrible every time I go

b) I have a strong distaste for flaming hot Cheetos ever since they destroyed my stomach lining

c) I think the Earth is flat and I have the evidence to prove it

d) Halloween is my favorite holiday

I know it is not d because that is subjective. But I am conflicted on the others. Any help would be great.

Ah, ALL opinions are subjective preferences.

A and B are not opinions. They are statements.

C is a delusion. D is a statement as well. While it IS a statement about preference, it is still not necessarily an opinion. If it were "Halloween is the best holiday" then it would be stating an opinion.

What you think/believe is not a preference, it is an opinion by definition. You'd think that to be common sense.

All four are subjective

• j153e

Subject is "you," so all four by a subject, you, are "subjective." What your instructor is trying to convey, in other words, is that feelings as preferences are, in theory, different from preferences as thought-based opinions.

In your sample, emotions are: feeling terrible; strong distaste; and favorite holiday. The opinion = I think and I have evidence.

What may be also attempting to be taught is a distinction between empiricism and rationalism, namely, experience and reasoning. Empiricism would be best shown by feeling terrible (gym) and digestive malady. Both of these are strong empirical data, though further explanation of why exercise = feeling awful and why a tipping point of spicy food brought to one's sense the folly of spicy food would be the developing of theses, premises, to explain the 1-person empirical data; then, a rational and empirical Kantian type of hypothesis-checking by experimentation would tend to raise the two so-called subjective, empirical (and negative affect "opinion-preferences") to the level of science.

Rationalism is a type of thought, however, it is historically confined to anti-God notions of the so-called "Enlightenment," where some decided that God was not as important or even real, as they were (a kind of hidden empiricism as gross materialism, e.g., Hume), hence thinking man was the cat's meow, not some God. Thus Hallowed Eve is a type of religiosity which anti-God rationalism especially disdains. The three subjective types mix or even conflate 2 of empirical data with 1 of religiosity or simple preference.

Rationalism believes (like a religious faith...) that "pure reason" (Mx. Man Thinker, center of her universe of thought) provides basis for truth (although God-Truth is ruled out, somewhat illogically, as one can never prove this kind of negative--God's always hiding from the rationalist who claims God is not, etc.).

So while rationalism is primarily "it's all about my human mentation," empiricism tends to be the physical-tool-basis for measuring atoms and such: scientism. The opinion that the earth is flat is a thesis and the claim for evidence proving it is ~ a promised hypothesis. The thesis earth is flat is a premise, an opinion, and the evidence gathered is empirical, particularly likely if you live in Kansas or Nebraska). The statement manages to combine the circular interaction of rationalism and empiricism in one opinion.

Likewise, "digestion upset" and "Cheetos did it" = same opinion-based rational-empirical construction: a premise, an opinion, based on empirical evidence (of 1 person). "Feeling bad" = a premise, an opinion, a thesis, empirical evidence, ~ about physio-psychological states, measurable by various tests, and "the gym workout does it" = empirical evidence (of 1) confirming the thesis. The Cheetos did it is empirical data leading to the thesis that Cheetos are not good food; this is a scientific, empirical type of induction (from the upset tummy to the game-of-Clue Cheetos did it in the dining room), upon which one's quite rational opinion is based, much as the theory of general relativity was induced from upsetting perturbations in Mercury's orbit.

Thus, there are 3 similar opinion-statements, each with its premise and empirical data (the flat-earth claim evidence-promises, and the digestive and physio-psychology being more actual empirical data of single events), and one of pure emotion "I like my favorite holiday," a kind of tautology: "I like my favorite."

So, for purposes of class answering, the more likely opinion would simply be the flat-earth; obviously, it is probably a psychologism on the part of the theorist, who promises empirical data for her "rational thesis." However, this type of rationalist opinion-thesis, without hypothesis-confirming empirical data, may be a type of solipsism, hence, the most "emo"/subjective of the three.

p.s. Hopefully your instructor is aware of the nuances and complexities waiting to be unpacked, and uses the class discussion to explore some of them. Otherwise...clearer ideal types such as Halloween as preference (objective for the subject, btw) and "the sky today overhead is mostly blue with Cheeto-like fluffy yellow clouds...look out, Dorothy," would be easier on the students.