Wasim asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 months ago

I was wondering since Spock is Vulcan and his people have long ears, does that mean they have better hearing ability?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

It was stated that they had better hearing but not because of the shape.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Spock was an old school aviator : google “Spock E6B”

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

There were a couple of episodes where Kirk commented on Spock's "Vulcan" hearing... Assuming it meant that Vulcans had better hearing than humans. No proof that the shape of his ears had anything to do with it. If bigger ears mean better hearing, then a Ferengi like Quark should have been able to hear a whisper at 1000 feet!

• 9 months ago

With the same amount of tissue you could build a rounder ear which would have more surface area.  More surface area=more sound captured.  So my answer is no.  The only reason for pointed ears in my opinion would be attracting mates.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Yes, it has been pointed out that all Vulcans' senses are superior to humans'.

Odd, i didn't learn about this in my A & P classes? My avatar is a Pratt R-320 engine spooling up on a 1928 Ford TriMotor.

• 9 months ago

No need for good hearing. They can do mind melding and find out without words.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Obviously this question does not belong here. I can only assume because it contains the word "Vulcan" the computer thinks he is asking about a plane. If only there were some way to move this question...

• ...Show all comments
    • Erik
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Also, to answer your question, pretty much EVERYTHING about Spock was better. His hearing, intelligence, physical strength, endurance, and longevity were all more than a human.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

His long ears are the result of evolutionary need for better hearing in the thin air of Vulcan.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Why would thin air require longer, pointed ears? They never gave a reason for Vulcans having pointed ears. They just wanted to make him look different than humans.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Cats have much better hearing than humans, and have smaller ears than humans.

Can you draw some conclusion from that?

(apart from the fact that you are spending too much time on completely pointless and silly notions, that is)

• 9 months ago

He's half Vulcan. He has better hearing, eyesight and everything else. Not because he's part Vulcan but because he's Spock.

Live long and prosper.

• Wasim9 months agoReport

thanks

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.