Lv 7

what would be the maximum amount of voltage that a private residence could be upgraded to?

I want to install an electric pump in a cellar under our house in the Napa Valley because it floods every winter when it rains a lot. The current, standard voltage will not be sufficient. Thank you in advance :<)

13 Answers

  • Jim W
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Hire a local electric contractor to install the pump and the needed electric wire from your existing system.  A 2 horse power pump on a 240 volt branch  should be sufficient for most normal situations.  With good planning a smaller size that needs a 20 amp 120 volt circuit may keep the place dry.

    Most modern homes have a 240 volt (nominal) and at least a 150 amp service.  This provides room for some expansion from the original installation.

  • y
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Standard residential feed is 220/240 in the US. two legs each the 115 that is found throughout most of the house. sing both legs gives one the 220/240 used for things like electric water heaters, electric ovens, electric dryers, and or, in my case, my well. Any licensed electrician can run what you need for a basement sump.

  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Voltage is standard throughout the country where you live. In Britain and Europe it is 230/240 volts. In the USA it is 110 volts for general domestic supply, though I have heard that 220 volts can be supplied to different circuits for very high powered items - which would only be ok if those items were designed for 240 volts.

    I think you are actually asking about power rating, which is expressed in watts, or in amps for any given voltage.

  • 1 year ago

    the standard voltage is 220v. that's plenty to run a 2 hp pump if you install a proper circuit from the breaker box.

    Houses are not generally wired for 3 phase power ... and the electric company [PG&E?] would charge you a pile to come out and install the necessary 3 phase power drop from the pole to the house, as well as change out the meter. And then you'd have to hire an electrician to redo the main breaker box for 3 phase as well as run the 3 phase circuit to the pump.

    if that 2 hp pump isn't big enough, your problem is far worse than any pump is going to fix and you need to get a contractor in there to solve your water leaking problem before the rains come

    Source(s): grampa
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    If you only need single phase and you need more than 240 volts, then you can buy a transformer to step up the voltage to what you need. The transformer would mount in or on your property and would not be associated with your power supplier.

  • John
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

    Three phase is efficient costs less money. Blame Nicola Tesla.

  • 1 year ago

    Rarely does a house need more than a class 320 (320A) 240v service. But Bill Gates has 7.2KV primary feeding the transformer in his house.

    A 240v 20A pump can pump 22gpm at 700' of head pressure. That's a smaller circuit than a typical clothes dryer.

  • 1 year ago

    My power company let into my property FULL line voltage then I stepped it down to my needs.

  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

    Find out what the neighbors situation is and see if any are the same as you. That is the cheapest route to take and the fastest.

    . if you have no neighbors, then you know why.

    . Each situation is different. It definitely is not an issue of Pump size. Some people just REFUSE to live where fish live (in the lake or river) instead of BESIDE the lake or river.

    It is a Personal preference thing.

    If you got to run pumps 24/7/365 it would be cheaper to build a WALL all around the property and use the concrete that Donald won't be buying because he is going with steel slats. Or decide not to live at the bottom.

    Disneyland was built in a swamp. So they managed to do it. Find out what was done there because you are in the same "boat".

  • 1 year ago

    The standard VOLTAGE is more than sufficient. The amperage your panel will handle is a separate question. 20 years ago, 50 amp service was not uncommon. Today 200 amp service is typical for new installations and 100 amps is enough for most households.

    Note: You can't FIT a pump under you house that requires more than 20 amps. You don't NEED one that uses 10 amps.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.