Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

Can I get paid for taking care of elderly disabled father?

I am wondering who to turn to for this information. He has social security and medicare. I am living with him and caring for him. He is unable to move around by himself in terms of walking and needs help getting out of bed. I asked a family member if they knew anything about the programs that paid family members for live in care, and she said there is, but they will likely take it out of his social security paycheck every month. If that's the case, we cant do that because he doesnt make that much.

Please let me know who to call or what programs you know of, whether its medicare, social security, or another one, that pays caregivers to take care of family members?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Tj
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Contact Medicare, ask them.

• 2 months ago

Judith has your answer because she retired as a Social Security officer for many years.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In order to get paid for taking care of an aged parent, he would have to be unable to perform several tasks of daily living (feeding himself, bathing, dressing himself, walking w/o assistance, going to the bathroom alone, etc. That would have to be documented by a social security representative. You would have to apply as a caretaker, and there are rules you would have to follow. Contact your local social security office to find out what you need to do.

• Flower
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You mean instead of working at a regular job? Why doesnt he hire a live-in caregiver? Some states do have a program to pay for home care including family members. I only know about California, its called In Home Support Services. The person must be low income. And you can go to the Medicare website. In some circumstances they offer some home care. If your Dad is low income, Medicaid is more likely to help with that. Also, Catholic Charities has caregivers at no or low cost.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would take care of my father without being paid for it, he cared for me when i was young, now it is my turn, you could ask the welfare people who pay your father.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Only if he is eligible for Medicaid - not Medicare. If eligible for Medicaid the county welfare office will conduct an interview to determine his needs. If approved, they will determine how many hours per week they will pay for help. Otherwise he will have to pay you out of his own pockets.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, if he qualifies for a specific benefit (linked to his needs) but it will be means tested and HE will be expected to pay you for the care you give until his savings are down to a certain level. Then the government will step in. All this is assuming you are in the U.K.

I get help for someone giving me care at the moment and it is up to me whether I pay a relative or hire someone privately or via a the local authority. It isn't enough to pay someone more than 8 hours a week though. If your father needs more than that it would be wise to see Citizens Advice (or similar) to get their advice.

• 2 months ago

Talk to you father, surely you can get him to spend what he has to help with his care AND management. You cite social security, but what about retirement savings, pension, real estate (like his old home)? And what does he need done that you can not provide with his income and assets? I mean, what can you provide for love? Certainly getting out of bed doesn't cost you anything, meal prep is not an extra burden, set one more plate. Does he really need 24/7 help, or can you still go to your job, and assist him? You could bankrupt him in favor of Medicaid, then your state would carry the financial burden so you wouldn't feel the need to help your own father. Or you could pay the $4500 a month or more cost of shelfing your father into a assisted living home where they could care less about helping him because they are to busy counting the profits they make so you just wait for him to die. I think the answer lays somewhere between you negotiating with him, and cutting ties with a dead man walking, and the real reason you may cast him aside.

• 2 months ago

Contact the office of the aging, and social services to apply as a paid caregiver. They’re paid a stipend for assisting with their daily care.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can't get "paid" to take care of family members as a caregiver.

However, you can sometimes get assistance through the Government. If you meet certain qualifications you may be able to deduct some of the expenses on your taxes, and you may also be able to claim them as a dependent. However for that you need to consult a tax professional.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.