How would I diagnose a broken chest freezer?

I have a Norfrost Aura chest freezer that suddenly stopped working yesterday. The freezer hasn't been moved and nothing unusual happened for it to stop working. It has a faint flashing green light on the front and a 'boost' switch that still lights up.

I would like to try and repair this freezer but I have no idea where I would even start to diagnose the cause of the problem. I'm assuming the thermostat might need replacing but I don't want to waste my money on unnecessary parts.

Any advice?

get your exact model number. read the maker's Support pages, then consult YouTube [google for how to fix]

Generally the boost switch bypasses the thermostat so the freezer runs permanently. Switch on the boost and see if the freezer will run and freeze down. If it does, it is most likely to be a faulty stat which can be checked with an ohm-meter, with the power disconnected.

If it runs but does not freeze down it is likely to be loss of refrigerant which will need professional attention.

If the freezer does not run then it is a possible starting relay or compressor problem.

The green light is a mains supply / power indicator light and it is not unusual for them to fail on older appliances but this in itself will not stop the freezer from working.

Source(s): Retired UK electrician / appliance repairer.

Thermostat is fine. You don't say how old it is, but if it has some years on it then it is the TIMER. Look on YouTube videos to see if anyone has replaced the timer, otherwise you are going to have to guess. I hate guessing as EVERY FREEZER MAKE IS MADE DIFFERENTLY SO you got to find a repair manual if there is no U tube videos on fixing it or call a repair man

Step ONE: Unplug the freezer and use something you know works to test the outlet. That at least determines is the freezer is the problem.

Step 2: Wait at least 5 minutes and plug the freezer back in. If a power surge tripped something, that may reset it.

Step 3: Look up the manual to see what it says the flashing green light means.

Step 4: NEVER replace parts until you have GOOD reason to believe the part caused the problem.

get in a repair man

might be cheaper to replace with second hand freezer than repair