GeniusEgo asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 11 months ago

Is peanut butter healthy everyday?

I just read that it contains a fungus that makes it bad to eat everyday but its okay in moderation. So, what's moderation? How many days a week?

I should add that it's 100 percent peanuts. Meridian and pip and nut are my brands.

The fungus is called aflatoxin

• Julien

It depends a bit on whether you're in USA or EU.

In EU all peanuts should have less than 2 µg/kg of aflatoxin. Knowing that you would need to stay under approximatively 20µg/day to make sure there is zero measurable risk, it would mean you would need to eat less then 10 kg of peanuts per day. And of course you will never eat 10 kg of peanuts in a day (it would be more than 50,000 kcal).

In USA the limit is ten times higher, so the risks are maybe not totally negligible. But still, it should not really be very worrying.

I’ve been eating it almost every day for years, you’re fine

• Pippin

Peanuts CAN be contaminated with Aflatoxin, but so can many other foods, and it's not common. Peanut crops are tested for it, so the odds of harm from a commercial brand of peanut butter (even eaten often) would be remote. Probably best to not grow your own and make your peanut butter, or buy from unregulated 'natural' producers. (Peanuts, like milk, are a product where 'natural' and raw' isn't better or safer.)

It's a very high protein food and very good for you. I don't believe it has "fungus". Just watch the calories If you're watching your weight. As with any good that is actually good tasting, it has quite a few calories.

anything everyday is bad for you.