Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

I put unbranded gas in my 2015 Kia Rio and later my car jerked few times. Is something wrong in the car or the gas?

I have never experienced car jerk after filling up. This was unbelievable. I filled the unbranded because it was cheapest station.

Now that gas has all been used and I filled at wawa later. There were no problems or jerks.

So I'm not sure why this happened. Any reasons?

Some water in cheap gas is the most likely answer.

The cheap gas may have had some water in it. That means that their storage tanks are old. After this first experience, I would never go back to that particular gas station!

If the problem is gone, the problem is gone. Once you burn up a load of contaminated fuel and refill, that should be the end of it. Once I accidentally filled with 85 octane gas in Colorado and my '98 Corolla ran so bad I could hardly get on the freeway. That craaap burned up so quickly- MPG dropped from 30 mpg to 22mpg. After refilling with 91 octane the car was fine and never had any more problems. It ran like a top all the way back to California. That was in 2005

That un-branded gas was supplied by the SAME delivery truck as the branded station across the street.

• Snezzy

Cheap place has two problems.

((1)) They are located at the bottom of a hollow where water naturally runs downhill and into the poorly secured filler ports for their underground tanks.

((2)) They don't bother checking the tanks for water, because either they don't have anyone who knows how to do that, or else they are scared to check because they might find water in the tank. Instead they just keep the price low so YOU and other cheapskates will buy the water and that way (sort of) get rid of it.

• STEVEN F

That is 100% PURE BS. If ONE WORD of it were true, the government inspectors would shut them down before they even hooked the pumps up to the underground tank.

Co-incidence. Only fools buy expensive gas as it all comes from the same refinery.