Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 5 months ago

Is it a guarantee that if I get a security lock box or suit case -- people will leave my things alone?

I start my software engineering training at '42: Silicon Valley' next month in October and I am also accepted into the dormitory program. They recommend that I get a security suit case or some such to keep my valuables, etc. safe. Who is to say some nerd *sshole won't take the entire suit case or lock box to try to open else where?

If you have dormed and attended 42 school--please give me some input in this. Thanks so much.

There are no guarantees in life.

• ?

Ok, first of all, you're starting software engineering training, so you're now one of those "nerd *ssholes". And the whole point behind security measures is to act as a deterrent to criminals, the risk and effort required to get what they want being less than any possible reward. If I left $10,000 just sitting out in a big pile on a table somewhere, someone will steal it. Its not a lot of effort for a big reward. If I have a cash card with $50 on it in a locked box, no one is really going to bother, its lots of effort for almost nothing. So anytihng you can do to make it harder to get at your stuff is going to put people off stealing it.

• audrey

Never trust anybody. If you get a sentry safe, and own your desk, bolt it to the desk.

Don't be such a worrywart. OF COURSE someone's going to try to steal your stuff, it's a free school. And someone's going to try to hack you. Travel light, keep backups, and go get 'em!