Were woman stronger in historical times before epidurals and pads and tooth paste and internet?

In my grandparents generation - most woman had 5 children

And nobody cared about the pain of birth

Or the responsibility of raising a child

Now so many avoid that out of fear

Everyone was tougher in the past. I threw popcorn at a woman once only for her to tell the police I was throwing rocks. People are pathetic these days. Steal away their safe space and they'll flail in panic.

Your grandparents had toothpaste and pads and epidurals. I know, because I'm 66 and we had them. These times are hardly historical; it's recent history. 5 children weren't common at all when your grandparents were alive, unless you too are in your 60s and your grandparents were born in the early part of the 20th century. Post world war II, the baby boomer generation had fewer siblings than previously.

Of course people cared about the pain of birth and raising children - but without birth control, opting out weren't options for women

• MS

I'm sure people cared about the pain of childbirth - there just really wasn't much that could be done about it so they had to deal with it. I imagine most would have jumped at the chance for some pain relief if offered.

And it doesn't make sense for families to have as many children now. It's more expensive just to live, and especially to raise a family. Things have changed. People change with the times. That doesn't make any one generation better or worse, or weaker or stronger.

cause things were different back then

In my grandparents generation, most women had 5 children before they died young deaths due to complications from childbirth, or their bodies simply giving out. Half of the children died before they made it to the age of 5. Those that did survive contracted diseases like polio that left them damaged for life.

People in history had fewer choices. That didn't make them stronger. It often made them dead.

I think its because that was what was expected of women and they had to follow through with it, I imagine there were quite a number of women who didn't want children or husbands but it wasn't proper in the time to speak out against such things.