Do the dimensions of a box, greatly determine the cost of shipping. Or do all factors play a role in shipping costs?

With UPS , USPS AND FEDEX . Does weight , dimensions , and distance , also quantity of boxes, all play a factor in determining how much it will cost to ship a box or several boxes?

A representative told me that I can save money by taking the items which I'm shipping out of the larger size boxes and placing them into smaller size boxes is this true?

there is an upward price boost for any weight exceeding 50 pounds, as well as for sizes above N inches in all dimensions combined. See their website for details of how to measure and the N figure.

I once got a quote for a 55 pound box whose dimensions are 36 x 30 x 20 [inches] ... going 1700 road miles in the US ... quote was over $100 .... I dropped that idea in a hurry. [the item is furniture and can not be reduced in physical size, nor easily in weight]

Source(s): grampa

it mostly comes down to weight but yes size especially very large boxes comes into play but not as much as weight.

Yes, and no. It depends entirely upon the size of the larger box. As an example, a USPS box cannot be over 108 inches in length and girth combined. that's the longest edge plus the distance around the box.

Actually, distance isn't a factor for overnight shipping. They route ALL such packages through a single sorting facility.

Weight and size matter.