Do the dimensions of a box, greatly determine the cost of shipping. Or do all factors play a role in shipping costs?

With UPS , USPS AND FEDEX . Does weight , dimensions , and distance , also quantity of boxes, all play a factor in determining how much it will cost to ship a box or several boxes?

A representative told me that I can save money by taking the items which I'm shipping out of the larger size boxes and placing them into smaller size boxes is this true?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

there is an upward price boost for any weight exceeding 50 pounds, as well as for sizes above N inches in all dimensions combined. See their website for details of how to measure and the N figure.

I once got a quote for a 55 pound box whose dimensions are 36 x 30 x 20 [inches] ... going 1700 road miles in the US ... quote was over $100 .... I dropped that idea in a hurry. [the item is furniture and can not be reduced in physical size, nor easily in weight]

Source(s): grampa
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

it mostly comes down to weight but yes size especially very large boxes comes into play but not as much as weight.

• 9 months ago

Yes, and no. It depends entirely upon the size of the larger box. As an example, a USPS box cannot be over 108 inches in length and girth combined. that's the longest edge plus the distance around the box.

• 9 months ago

Actually, distance isn't a factor for overnight shipping. They route ALL such packages through a single sorting facility.

Weight and size matter.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.