Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 months ago

What are some of the most legitimate and important men’s rights issues in your opinion?

I don't keep up with men's rights groups, but from what I've read, I think the most legitimate and important issues are:

1. Bias against boys in education. We even went so far as to pass legislation favoring girls (pushed by a feminist organization). In my mind to create a bias against children (boys) is absolutely inexcusable and needs to be changed.

2. Healthcare: There are many ways males are disadvantaged in our healthcare. We have a Bureau of Women's Health, but no Bureau of Men's Health. Women's cancer research receives more money than men's cancer research. Obamacare mandates many healthcare advantages for women only, but none for men only.

3. Biased sentencing and other legal biases: Studies show blacks receive harsher sentencing than whites but the gap between men and women is even greater. Colleges are now handling cases of sexual assault in ways that are purposely stacked against accused males, denying them due process. Efforts of groups like the innocence project show many innocent males have been wrongly imprisoned. Under VAWA, male victims of domestic violence are routinely denied help and men are assumed the instigators even though many studies show women initiate more domestic violence than men do. We also have laws that legally advantage women in job hiring and in business ownership. All these biased laws should be changed to be gender neutral.

4. Family law and relationship issues: Marriage, divorce and custody laws are biased against males as are many customs/social pressures. It's much more acceptable for a woman to not work than a man for example. There's pressure for men to take on dangerous work to support family.

I certainly don't think men are oppressed, but I do think there are some inequities against males that need to be addressed. Again, I think biases against children are the most important to address.

• lefteddie9 months agoReport

Men dye 7 years earlier than women because they don't take care of their health. One reason, embarrassment. They can't get same gender intimate care anywhere in the healthcare system, From a Catheter insertion, prostate biopsy, IMRT Radiation Therapy, Surgery prep, fall risk, female will bath you.

Male violence. It hurts other men enormously, but men--especially MRAs-- will never admit or take it seriously. That's why they will never do anything of worth.

• Elana

Common Sense has most of mine.

I would add aiming more money at research for women's non-reproductive health despite women living 5 years longer (in the West).

Also, the fact that in the event of a shooting war, Selective Service only has contact information for men.

Also, that non medically indicated genital surgery is routinely performed on non-consenting infant boys.

But for me, the biggest is the same as many other's: Education needs to be fair for both boys and girls. The pervasive feminist idea that girls need education more than boys because boys will always be able to find work is ludicrously self serving.

• JASON

Being able to see their children if a relationship breaks up, without having to fight for it.

They have a right to cater to a woman's every whim

To be heard and not ignored.

Office thermostat war. Womans scan bring coats if they’re cold.

Immigration decriminalization

Incarceration limits

Green New Deal

UBI

Being able to have child support removed if it turns out they are not the father. In many states, it can't be contested at a certain point. There isn't much else, men don't really have a lot of places they are treated unfairly.

I am a one issue voter

GAY rights