What happens if someone publicly objects to a wedding?

We all know that line in the marriage ceremony where the officiant says, "If anyone objects to this union, speak now or forever hold your peace." I've never actually seen this happen, but what happens if someone actually does this? What happens if someone speaks now and doesn't hold their... show more We all know that line in the marriage ceremony where the officiant says, "If anyone objects to this union, speak now or forever hold your peace." I've never actually seen this happen, but what happens if someone actually does this? What happens if someone speaks now and doesn't hold their peace?

Does the officiant call off the wedding completely? Does the officiant ignore him/her and marry the couple anyway? Does the officiant invite the objecting individual to have a conference with the couple and talk it out? What happens?

I've been to a few weddings I didn't approve of and I actually considered doing this, but I didn't. I forever held my peace. But what would've happened if I did object?