I was driven to school by my parents till I was 16. Is that in anyway normal?

So yeah, from when I started school at 4 till age 16 going on 17, I was driven to school by my parents.

My mum would tell me how she and her siblings would walk to/ from school when they were very young children.

At 16 going on 17, I decided to walk to and from school, thinking it was time to be more independent.

Since kids walk to and from school on their own, is it normal for some other child to be driven? I don't know if I was taking things for granted and being lazy, but felt bad.

• Helen

What's "normal"?!

Everyone is different. It's not a "one size fits all". If it was practical for you to get a lift and you have great parents who were happy to do it, what's bad or wrong about that? At that age it is completely normal to feel insecure about these things and to think that you are not normal or 'behind' everyone else. That's just part of growing up and figuring out who you are.

Also, ignore that other poster because I knew of no one who was driving at 16 (and even if they were, they likely weren't very good driver's anyway!)

these days yeah, kids are not given the chance to fend for themselves, I am old and walked from K to high school and a lot more places until I got a bike later a car. It's how it is today man. Kind of weak if you ask me.

Yes, some are driven due to distance, parent schedules, or safety concerns, but much of the best interactions take place in walking with kids to school and back.

Depends on traffic, distance and availability/cost of public transport.

We were expected to take public transport but we live where there is a bus and we got a bus pass

• Rick B

Most 16 year olds I know drive themselves to school. they often take friends with them. Those who don't usually take the bus.