Why are there two different output ratings (two pairs of each voltage and amperage) on my AC adapters? What does it mean?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

What does it say??

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Outputs? Because many require two different voltages to run different circuits. Logic usually requires +5 volts. Some require isolated higher voltage to run toner corona generator, you don't want that HV even sharing same ground as the logic circuits.

Source(s): Repaired switching/.analog power supplies professionally 8 years. All supplies have input requirement; many need to be switched between 240-to-120 VAC. Some are auto sense. Our PSs had multiple outputs; often +/- 5 volts at hi amps for logic; +/-12 volts; -48 volts for tip/ring; plus 88-108 volts at 20 CPS for ring signal.
  • 9 months ago

A MULTI OUTPUT VOLTAGE SPECIAL MADE ADAPTER TO SUPPORT SPECIAL MADE DEVICE OR OUT OF DAY DEVICE. YOU MAY USE JUST SINGLE OUTPUT AS WISH.

• 9 months ago

It is a dual output adapter for something like a printer, which uses two power supplies. One, low current, for logic and one, high current, for hot wires.

• P & W9 months agoReport

Logic usually + or - 5 volts, Hi Current. Some imaging, like the toner in some printers, require a higher isolated voltage at low current to run high voltage generator. with Safety to the rest of the printer. Hi voltages here are basically only a corona, very low current.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Look at the illustration of the connector, to the right of the voltage / current ratings. This AC adapter provides two different voltages at the same connector: 16 Volts between one pin and ground, and 32 Volts between the other pin and ground.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

it means different input will give you a different voltage and amperage as output

• ...Show all comments
    • P & W9 months agoReport

I take that back about switchers; Unless auto sense, plugging one set for 110 into 220 willl fry it. No output, possibly only blown fuse if Lucky.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

From the photo it either has a switchable output or two outputs.

• ...Show all comments
    • Dixon
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Then it has two outputs, probably on the same connector. There is no reason to change the output if the input changes, the whole point of an adapter is to provide a fixed DC voltage.

• 9 months ago

Your AC adapter supplies both voltages - kind of like a duel adapter.

• 9 months ago

Call HP support and ask there. Your photo is not readable.

• 9 months ago

I don’t have a clue of what ur asking buddy

• See my answer. I’ve attached a photo

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.