Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why is buying a BYB puppy a bad thing?

I am doing a presentation at my college and trying to spread awareness about why supporting BYB is bad and effective, I would love to hear from other people’s words about this!

• FUNdie

The short answer is that BYB's do it for the money, and they tend to breed dogs together that are in poor health or poor quality simply because they are purebred, or they might breed those "Designer Breeds" (mutts), like Cockapoos, Labradoodles and Puggles, who have no breed standard and health issues are not addressed. They don't spend the money on necessary vet attention. Reputable breeders care only about improving the breed, and refuse to breed individuals that have genetic problems. They spend every bit of the money on vet bills and puppy care and other things that go into producing a good puppy. They rarely make any money off it.

BYB are typically only in it for the money, they don't make sure the two dogs they are breeding are in top shape, temperament, etc. They literally will breed the dog every single heat cycle. They breed dogs that shouldn't be breed and sell them for "top" dollar prices....To be honest I got 2 of my dogs from a more cleaner BYB and while my first one turned out really well, my second one did not. Even though he's a good boy and I love him he has some issues that could have been prevented if his parents were breed properly...mom was 4 years old and breed every cycle and dad was 9 years old and was sick with lyme that counter reacted with his lyme vaccine (wasn't made aware until after i got the puppy), Now i have a dog that is terrified of people (he was socialized), he is scared of EVERYTHING (even stuff he loved as a puppy), and he has a lazy eye. Which the vet said all of this is a result of breeding the dad while he was sick...the only thing that sets my BYB aside from others is she actually showed up at the vets office when my 1st dog i got from her got sick at camping, she showed up and demanded the vet to figure out what was wrong before sending us home.

• Darcie

Hello 👋,

BYBs are known for not being exactly responsible, dog-loving people who care, not to be mean to them...

Also, there are millions, if not billions, of homeless dogs 🐶 and other animals in shelters, rescue centres and living rough. If you want an animal/animals can, why not adopt one (or more) of them? With millions, if not billions, of them being killed, you may be saving their life/lives...

Thank you 😊 to the moon 🌒 and back.

May you and all sentient beings everywhere be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever ♾.

I hope this helps and makes everyone smile 😊 and makes everyone’s day and night as better as can be...

Best Wishes to all,

Rory.

Have the best day and night ever!

Adds to the over population of unwanted, poorly bred animals that end up in kill shelters, roaming the streets and adding to the heartbreak of killing a living thing.

I wrote my Master's thesis on why backyard breeders are beneficial and bad. It won award for best thesis of 2003. Now I run a puppy mill. If you're interested I've over 200 basset hound puppies for sale.

Yes it is don’t get pets

BYBers only breed dogs for the sake of money, with complete disregard for the well-being of the parents. Frankly, it's disgusting. And a warning sign is if they are selling the dogs on Craigslist.

And all they really do is bring more dogs into a world where dogs are put in shelters and then put to sleep if they don't get an owner.

i dont think thats a bad thing

• Anna

You seem nice Pearl but your head is in the clouds and you seem pretty deluded. Dogs are overpopulated it should be illegal to breed them unless it's to become a guide dog and breeders should be thrown in prison for adding to the overpopulation.

Someone doing a presentation at a college, would surely have been doing their own research! There's very few knowledgeable dog people on this forum, something any college student would know.

• ZotsRule

"I already have done" LOL!!! And you're telling us you're in COLLEGE?????

There are obviously wider moral/political arguments that can be made, but the most "direct" reason not to buy from a BYBer is because they sell a low-quality product.

If I really wanted a purebred, I would want a good quality one.