Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 9 months ago

Do ovulation tests show you are ovulating after the egg was released?

I was supposed to have my ovulation date yesterday. I took the test 14 hours after unprotected sex and it said I was not ovulating. Does this mean I was not ovulating? Or does it mean I already completed ovulation?

• John P

Did no form of instruction and information leaflet come with those tests?

• LizB

No, they indicate that you are having a LH surge, which means ovulation will occur within the next day or two. If you are also temping you may soon see a "dip" in your temp followed by a rise as you move into your luteal phase, but it's also possible to just see the rise and not the dip. The slight increase in basal body temp is from increased progesterone production.

• Tri-Harder

Just a note - it means ovulation MAY occur. It does not indicate for certain that it will.

No. They show the LH surge that may trigger ovulation within the next 12-72 hours.

They do not detect ovulation at all. Only the LH surge. It's possible and normal to have a surge and not ovulation, or to need more than one LH surge before ovulation occurs.

All this particular test showed you was that you were not currently having an LH surge. You may have already had it and missed ovulation. You may not have had it yet. You may have had it and not ovulated. And so on.

• helene

Ovulation tests turn positive during the LH surge that precedes ovulation by a day or so. Before and after that, they're negative.

It's quite possible to miss the surge.

• Tulip

And how did you decide yesterday was the day in the first place?