how to deal with fake internet service provider calls?

i got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be my internet service provider, only i wasn't around or available at the time, my mother was staying with me and answered the phonecall, she told me it was an indian man who sounded like he was calling from a noisy call centre environment, he asked was i available and told my mum my internet was going to be down at some point because of hacking attempts......my mum hung up the call on him.

we knew straight away that this was a dubious fake call by people pretending to be my ISP company.

but i was alarmed that this man mentioned hacking, because it made me worried could i be hacked by scammer scum like this? how could they hack my computer? and how could i protect my pc from such attempts?

and how do you deal and stop getting calls like this? this is not the first time this has happened, how are these dubious people getting my landline number?

i did phone my ISP later that day when i got back and was available and they told me they had no record of anyone calling me from my broadband company.

i would appreciate any help or assurance with this question. double thanks.

thanks to all the answers and help.

Favorite Answer

They just pick random numbers to call and hope that someone is stupid enough to give out his credit card number.

I got a call about my windows 10 license about to expire and I’ll need to renew the license. Problem is that my license came with my laptop so I don’t need to renew it. So I just played along then at the very end I told him to go **** himself and I’ll call the police on him. Haven’t heard from him since.

If you have caller ID don’t answer if you don’t know the number. If you have voicemail let it go to voicemail. If they leave a message then you can use against them for spamming. Notice how they never leave a message.

• ravenhill 1048 A.D

thanks a lot for your help and take on it, really appreciated.

• Roddy

Most of these scammers want you to give them remote access to your computer so that THEY can put a virus on it or hack your files.

I had a call recently from somebody purporting to call from Microsoft about a problem on my machine. Now, I only use Apple computers and not Microsoft ones, so I knew it must be a fake call (note that MS never call users that way and nobody can remotely tell what your own computer is doing).

I strung them along for a good 10 minutes including asking which of my 3 machines they wanted me to start up for them to 'clean'. I didn't say I only used Apple machines until about 10 minutes in - THEY quickly terminated the call!

Try to string them along and waste their time but NEVER give a cold caller any form of access to your computer, nor divulage any passwords, Credit Card numbers, etc.

Hi. These calls are as annoying as h*ll, and I enjoy watching the people with virtual machines mess with them.

If You do a little research, install a virtual machine, then use it when they call You can let them connect to it remotely & hopefully get some tracking info to use to sue the cr*p out of them.

G'Luck!!!

• Enigma

simple,you just hang up on them

The number should be reported (forwarded via text too) to your telephone service company as spam, and they’ll follow up on it. The number should then be blocked.

• Lv 7

if someone was going to hack you, they wouldn't call first.

they only call to get you to give them remote access.

NEVER give remote access to someone who CALLS YOU. ONLY give remote access to a company that YOU call for support, such as HP or DELL.

ALSO, NEVER google for a support number for a company! googling "DELL Support phone" will get you a fake "DELL" support from a third party.

always go to the company's website "hp.com, dell.com, etc.) and go to their support page for support...

Best thing is just to ignore them. There isn't a whole lot you can do to block the calls. You can block the number, but they can very easily spoof numbers making your block list ineffective.

If you want to have fun with them, play along with them while they tell you their BS story. There are YouTube channels dedicated to scam baiting, where they call a scammer on purpose and pretend to not know what's going on. This is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtjZ-SkioM

Youtube thumbnail

• Robert

I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If it is legitimate they will leave a message. As far as hacking, even the best security companies will say that it can happen, but usually these calls are fishing schemes to try and gather information. Your computer is probably safe it it has anti virus software. Just do what all the security people say and never click on any site or email you don't recognize. The scammers are now putting a "scanned and safe" message next to links they send. Check the address from where the mail comes and determine if it is real. Never just click to find out.