Why do mechanics charge more per hour than most people earn in a day?

I do not find that they do. A large part of the cost is generally from the parts themselves rather than the labor and overhead, which is generally equal to about half the unit rate (the other half is for the actual labor, what the mechanic earns). Overhead includes the upkeep of the facility, the costs of operations including (especially) business and liability insurance, and pay for support staff. The mark-up on parts is usually quite reasonable as well so they do not generally screw the clients. There are some who do, but many do not.

All services face the same basic economic concerns: labor costs, overhead costs, and whatever they can get above that for profit. You will probably find out at some point, if you ever end up in a management position at any small firm (or even larger firm).

• Jason8 months agoReport

Thanks, I agree about the parts, in fact I usually have to ask them to go for slightly more expensive parts, rather than the cheap Eurocarparts stuff. It was mainly the issue of Labour charges. But if your saying there's a reason rather than greed, then that answers my question.

You really need to get a better paying job.

• Jason8 months agoReport

Don't we all.

If you really are unhappy with the prices, learn to fix your own car. It's not that difficult for a person like you.

• Jason8 months agoReport

Trust me Iv'e had to.

I assume you mean an auto mechanic. Pay a visit to your mechanic and ask about the licenses he has to renew each year and the cost of them.

The operating permits are a Major expense of operations.

• Jason8 months agoReport

That's the kind of answer I was after. So there is a reason for it.

If a mechanic cost that much, you really can't afford to operate any device one would be needed for.

BECAUSE HIS EMPLOYER NEEDS TO EARN MORE MONEY TO COVER MANY SHOP EXPENSES. IN FACTS, MECHANIC HIMSELF GETS JUST AVERAGE PAY WAGE.

• Jason8 months agoReport

thanks

I'm not a mechanic but I am self-employed. In order to make a living at all as a self-employed person, you have to be able to cover your costs, and there may be busy and slack periods, so you can't but charge enough. It isn't like being guaranteed a certain number of hours a week. I couldn't afford my own services and neither could many of the other self-employed people I know. Parts are also sometimes very expensive, and so is equipment and so on. There's insurance, professional development, maintaining transport, marketing, loads of stuff. It just isn't the same as working a full-time job with an employer.

• JetDoc

A repair shop MAY charge that amount for an hours worth of labor, but the mechanic doesn't get the entire amount in his pay check. Part of it goes to cover the shop's overhead costs like rent, insurance, utilities, etc. PLUS... That money is only charged while the mechanic is actually working on a customer's vehicle. The mechanic doesn't earn anything for the time he is idle or waiting for the next customer to come in.

Sorry it should of said Garage rather than Mechanic. I guess its a case of, if people are willing to pay that much, then why not charge that much I suppose.

It could be that, if a mechanic is self-employed, he will have more expenses to pay out than someone who is an employee. The mechanic will have to pay for the cost of keeping his workshop in good condition, insurance, electricity, local taxes, and so on.