Substitute engagement ring?

My boyfriend and I are going on vacation September 22-24. The Turkish engagement ring that I ordered over a month ago, says it will not arrive until Sept. 26 earliest. I was hoping it would arrive before the vacation started, so I could propose to my boyfriend with this absolutely perfect, beautiful, emerald-silver ring. But it may not arrive on time. What do y'all think about proposing with a substitute ring? Or should I just wait until I actually have the ring, and propose at a different occasion? btw, we don't get to go on vacations very often.. last one was 2013....

• Trish

Youre taking a big risk proposing.

• GEEGEE

I'd be inclined to wait for the ring. Another option might be to present a color photo of the ring in a fancy jewelry box, and you can explain the ring will arrive any day.

firstly, 2 days is NOT a vacation lol. that's a weekend. secondly, you should have planned in advance or got faster shipping. planning in advance would have helped.... seemed like a spur of the moment type of thing. listen to the universe and rethink this... this happened for a reason.

First, I don't know where you're getting the idea all proposals must include bended knee and ring. My proposal took place on a plane that was stranded on a tarmac at Dulles Airport on a hot steamy August day as I was puking my face off into a whoopie bag. Still very happily married! But I digress...

If your trip is to a cool or romantic place, I'd think that matters a lot more than waiting until you get back just to have the ring in hand.

• D

sounds terrible.

Proposing on a vacation is never a good idea anyway because if the answer is no you're still stuck in a foreign place with this person, usually even sharing the same room. So I'd wait until the ring arrives and do this privately in such a way that if you're left disappointed you can get out of there and have someplace else to go.

• BeatriceBatten

I’d you think there’s a chance the person might say no then you shouldn’t be proposing in the first place. The proposal is a formality/tradition; it should only come AFTER both partners agree that the time is right to start planning their marriage.

The ring isn’t what makes the engagement official. The promise to marry each other is what makes it official. A ring isn’t required to get engaged or married.

That being said, it’s entirely up to you how to handle this. You can buy a cheap fashion ring to propose with and explain that the real ring isn’t ready yet; you can propose with no ring and then tell him the ring is on its way but you didn’t want to wait to propose; or you can delay the proposal until you have the real ring in hand. None of these options are bad.

Ideally, You know how your BF might react. Would he be disappointed to receive a substitute ring, or no ring at all, during the proposal? Would he be disappointed if you don’t propose on the vacation because maybe he’s expecting it? Would he not care either way?

It’s also OK for you to ask him upfront what he prefers. Ideally the proposal should not come as a *complete* surprise for him Because prior to this you should have discussed marriage together.

Here is a quirky idea that I had: I pick out a matching emerald-silver ring that I would wear during the engagement period, and propose with that, while explaining it would be worn by him for now but me later on..?

• Cara

You don't have to propose with a ring, you know - as far as I know that's a relatively new idea. It used to be the custom to propose, be accepted, then choose a ring together.

See how you feel during the moment if you feel like at heart you won’t feel like it’s the moment until you have the ring you really wanted then I think you should wait but trust me, if he loves you, it will still be a dream come true wether the ring is there or not BUT like I said, it’s what your heart feels satisfied with. I wish you best of luck and early congrats <3

My wife and I went ring shopping after I proposed and she accepted. One does not need a ring to propose.

My feeling is that a ringless proposal would be better than a substitute ring. The REAL engagement ring coming after a REAL proposal (and acceptance) feels more solid than a temporary substitute ring that is just there to meet some image.

• opinionated

my 1st wife did not get a ring, will you marry me, yes, you are now engaged. why do you think a ring is a requirement?