Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 9 months ago

My rat is grieving the death of his friend. How can I help him?

It’s been a few days and he won’t stop looking for him. He just searches around all day long and barely eats or anything. I try socializing more with him. I spend hours every day. But he just wants to leave and look for his friend.

That is natural enough, but it will pass. You are doing what you should do; your rat will recover sooner than you think.

The best thing you can do is find him a new friend quickly. The reason why he's acting like this is because he doesn't know where his friend is. He might believe that his friend got lost and you can't find him. He likely doesn't know that his friend has passed, which is why he's frantically searching for his friend. Now, there is one way to prevent this behavior, but it's quite grusome...after the Ratty friend passes away, you need to let your current boy see his friend before taking him away. Rats are incredibly intelligent creatures, and they know when a friend has passed. They'll do sort of a ritual of sniffing his mouth and licking his friend, which scientists and ratty caretakers think is a sign of searching for any signs of life. After they'rw convinced that their friend is gone, they'll slowly walk away and sometimes look back at their beloved friend. Luckily, Rats usually let their friends who have passed on go fairly quickly. I am so sorry for your loss and I hope this helped!

• patty

get him a new friend very easy

Buy him 4 baby turtles to take under his wing and raise as his own

Really sounds like your rat could use a new friend. You would have to spend LOTS of time with your ratty to fill that spot. The main thing is that your pet doesn't get bored. I have found trick training helps a lot.

• Kaz9 months agoReport

That's a great suggestion. Can u post any pictures of your ratties here for us to see too? :-)

Get a new rat ig