Kind words on a colonoscopy?

I've gone through several different tests to explain my chronic diarrhea. This is the only test left. But, it's kind of freaking me out. I'm a 26 year old woman and could use some helpful comments. I'm mostly afraid of being awake for the dang thing. I've read stories about people being awake enough to look at the screen AFTER being sedated! When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was consciously sedated (pill an hour before, then given an extra dose at the office). Will this sedation be similar to something like that? Because I was OUT, and couldn't remember anything that happened for the rest of the day. Any kind words or suggestions would be appreciated!

• TedEx

""I've read stories" is hardly an accurate source of information I have had several, and in ALL cases I remember absolutely nothing between chatting with the doctor and hearing :we're done/"Modern anesthesia turns you off and on like a light switch,

People tend to exaggerate the horror stories about medical procedures, Few, if any, are true,

Relax, you will be fine

I might ad, afterwards ,you should just take it easy the rest of the day, You won't be in any pain, just picture a lazy Sunday when you just don't feel like doing anything

I’ve had more than a few of those: my biggest tip is that during the procedure a lot of carbon dioxide gas is used to inflate your colon so that the camera gets a good view of the internal surface.

That’s the only bit I found to be uncomfortable and I always had the lightest of sedation and enjoyed watching the monitor view. Those who are more nervous get more sedation.

My tip is this: afterwards you’re in the recovery room, and usually there are a few other patients there who all had the same thing done. Everyone becomes aware of their uncomfortable gas-distended abdomens and they’re all trying to fart it out slowly and silently. DON’T! Just let rip! You’ll do what will probably be the longest and loudest farts you’ve ever had but they absolutely won’t smell. I found that once I let rip, there were a few nervous giggles before everyone was doing it. Pretty soon it sounded like the campfire scene in “Blazing Saddles”. Afterwards you feel so much better!

https://youtu.be/VPIP9KXdmO0

Youtube thumbnail

Don't be alarmed, but when I had my colonoscopy, I woke up during the procedure. The first thing I noticed was that I could feel the location of the probe. That amused me and I wanted to say, "You're in my transverse colon." but I decided to be quiet so as not to interrupt the professionals. The doctor was saying "I just need to get two more biopsies." It does not hurt to feel the probe inside you. There was a small tugging sensation when he took the two more biopsies but they didn't hurt, nor did removing the probe. The instant I woke, I was alert and aware for the rest of the day. I think the only reason for sedation is to relax the anal sphincter enough to insert the probe. The preparation is worse than the actual procedure.

• wings

Also, immediately after the procedure, you'll fart a lot. They won't release you until you do fart,so be prepared.

Yes, you will receive a mild sedative and muscle relaxant. Expect discomfort (like, this is never really enjoyable...) but no real pain.

The third time I had one done (I had a *very* stubborn pre-cancerous polyp, I lost count of the number of surgeries; but had 5 colonoscopies over a period of 8 years) they asked if I wanted to watch the monitor.

Like, what on Earth could I possibly gain from watching that?

But that shows one typically has enough conscience to potentially want to watch, or in my case, to not give a darn about it.

Quite frankly, the real inconvenience is the preparation. All those foul tasting fluids you have to drink? BERK!

You can sleep thru it. You do not have to stay awake or see any screens.

Piece of cake. Slept through the whole thing. The toughest part for me was the night before and drinking all that lemonade sort of drink that caused me to poop out everything so my intestines would be cleaned out for the actual test the next day.

You should have no memory of the event. Even if you did wake up, all you would notice is a bloated feeling - and you probably wouldn't remember that either. Its not a painful procedure even if you were awake. The sedation is given to keep the patient from moving around. Its not needed for pain.

Its possible the colonoscopy will not explain the diarrhea. If the procedure doesn't shed any light on the problem, the next step might be a fecal transfer. This is often the most effective treatment for a variety of bowel issues, but its usually the last thing doctors consider if they even consider it at all. Keep this in mind and hopefully you will make some progress!

• DON W

The hardest part of the colonoscopy is the preparation, where for a day ahead you have to empty your system by following a plan where you take laxatives and drink only a clear liquid like Gatorade.

The actual day of the procedure you will be completely sedated by a drip placed in your arm or hand. They typically start feeding the drug into you as they are rolling you to the room where the procedure will be done. That's the last you'll know until you wake up in the recovery room, and an hour later you are ready to be driven home.

Don't worry about the horror stories--there will be an anesthesiologist there the whole time to ensure you stay asleep. If you're still worried, during the prep before the procedure you will meet the anesthesiologist--just tell him/her of your concern.

When you get somewhat elderly (think in your 50s), you'll typically have it done every 5 or 10 years.

The only aftermath is that you're encouraged to spend the rest of the day relaxing at home, plus you may have some "bathroom problems" for a day or two after you resume eating.

• .

My wife & I have both had them and we never remember a thing. The sedation knocks you out.