Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 months ago

I have a horrible fear of my mom dying. What should I do?

MY DIED WHEN SHE WAS 39......AND my life is like a broken sea shell soundless and empty for what is left of forever

I have it too. The important thing is to be there for your mum, help her out in the house, treat her to special outings at the café, go on vacation with her and share memories. Talk with her on different topics. Really put effort into spending time with her and see her as a human other than a mother who raised you as a child.

Also look to other people older than yourself, whether their mums are alive or not. Look at how they managed life, remain confident and keeping busy with careers. Seek inspiration.

I seek inspiration from the singer Cher, as she's 73 and her mum is still alive at 93, and they are close as ever before. If Cher could make it to her 70s and stay strong and loving life with her mother, so can you.

Face your fears, and overcome your fears by saying my mom would be healthy and strong, I hope that works, wishes you well to you and your family :).

It’s inevitable and worrying about it won’t stop it from happening so enjoy your life and the time you spend with your Mom. No one knows when they will die, she could outlive you. You can’t live in fear about these things, these things that might not happen for a long time. Seek therapy if the fear is that great and doesn’t go away.

Ditto. She's 87 but in perfect condition. But so was my friend's & out of nowhere she had a stroke in her sleep, seemed to fully recover, then died in her sleep 3 days later. I live with mine, just her & me, as I'm divorced & she lost her job & she adores her house so I saved it for her by making an apartment for myself to live with her & help her financially etc. She wakes up every morning at the same time. So, so do I, waiting to hear her awakening. I'm scared that one day I won't hear her on her floor above me at that time & find she passed in her sleep. ALTHOUGH IT'S HER BEST WAY TO GO-NO ILLNESS/SUFFERING, I'm petrified for the day when it comes. It's natural to dread the day we lose the person we entered this Earth from. But we MUST MOVE ON, in time. Something inside all of us kicks in naturally & it's not as bad as we dreaded that which I have experienced & heard. But it's Mom, & no matter what, when her time comes it will be dreadful & heartbreaking. There's no way around it. So try your best to cherish each & every moment you have her. I know it sounds easy, but try. It sure beats mourning her death while she's still here & smiling hopefully. Best wishes!

Some religious beliefs present the idea that we will see our loved ones again if they pass away.

Enjoy her every day.

Everyone dies eventually.

Make the most of when she's here.

Remember just have a hole in the ground with nothing

or Heaven if you believe.

• Everyone dies and everyone worries about their loved ones dying; if it affects your daily life, seek therapy

So do I. I would start with praying.