do Americans realise that England is part of the UK and Great Britain?

Do they know that it is made up of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England?

You know how they say war is how Americans learn geography? A lot of Americans think the UK is England. They think QE2 is the queen of England. I knew a girl in college who went to visit her grandmother in Wales, and came back thinking Wales was part of England. We haven't had a war with Britain in a couple hundred years so we don't know about it.

• amy9 months agoReport

This made me smile. thank you. this is what I was getting at that a lot of Americans think the UK is England. I worded it incorrectly. :-)

• W

Most Americans couldn't even find it on a map. The geographical ignorance of the average American knows no bounds.

• Lv 5

watch this https://youtu.be/eRapaObLQM8

• John P

From WW2 times, my parents told me of some notions from Americans in Britain in those times. Apparently American soldiers could not believe that the Queen Mary liner, on which they had crossed the Atlantic, was not American, because it was the biggest ship in the world. And they felt themselves entitled to use the word "veteran" after they had been here in Britain for 3 weeks or so.

Some do.

Some don't.

• F

I know it annoys the Scots and Welsh, but a lot of the world uses England and Britain as equivalent terms. Some Americans seem to get annoyed at calling the USA "America". What Americans don't realise, is that England / Britain is not a village where everyone know each other.

Many do. Those who don't are not alone: it's very common for Scots, Welsh and Irish people to be told in foreign countries that 'Ah yes, you are from England'.

It doesn't bother me when foreigners make the mistake, but it gets right up my nose when the occasional ENGLISH person says 'Who cares, what's the difference?'

• Orla C

The ones who have studied geography, maybe.

Weren't we the ones that told England that a while back.

Sure do..................

Well that's not technically true. Northern Ireland is part of the UK but not the rest of Ireland.

Do you know what "Great Britain" means? Northern Ireland is part of the UK but not part of Great Britain.

Some certainly do, but I don't think that all Americans know these technicalities. Why would they?