Travelling alone at 16?

I am a 16 year old female and I live in the United States. This next spring break, I was thinking of going on holiday on my own. I have a job so I could pay for all the expenses but was wondering if it is ok/safe for me to travel alone to Europe for a week? I was thinking but am no limited to Spain (I speak spanish), portugal, malta, or maybe greece. My family travels overseas often so I have experience navigating public transportation and such. I suppose I'm wondering if it's a good idea and/or if anyone has any advice. thanks

You will probably have a very hard time getting hotel rooms, and it probably isn't very smart or safe to travel alone. The issue here is that you are legally a minor. As a result, you can't be held financially responsible for anything -- even if you pay cash or have a credit card.

I'd strongly suggest you look into any number of "educational" trips to Europe designed for high school students. You can always go back in a few years with friends --once you are old enough.

Just check with your parents first and if they find you wise enough and you get their approval, why not?

I am from Holland and we travel frequently by ourselves at a young age. I started my first solo trip to Spain when I was 18.

You can stay in hostels in dorm rooms to meet other solo travelers. You will see that you are not the only one traveling by yourself. If you don't have any social anxiety to meet and talk to people that you do not yet, I would recommend it! Only you and your parents can decide if you are mature enough to travel by yourself at an age of 16.

Have fun! Or wait a couple of years and have fun!

start off travelling by train somewhere where you are able to get home later that evening. At your age or even any age start of small and then grow your confidence by travelling

• Koci

isn t easy but you can try .

• MS

You will probably not be allowed through Immigration as a minor traveling alone and without adult supervision in those countries. You will also have a difficult time finding accommodations at your age. Even though Europe has some youth hostels that will allow teens, it's still most common to find that you need to be 18 to rent a place to stay. This is not a good idea at your age.

• Eva

It is not safe to go alone at your age. You will find it difficult to find anywhere to stay as most hotels will not rent to anyone under 18.

i dont see why not if your parents dont mind

Most hotels won't let you stay if you're under 18 without an adult to accompany you.