Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 6 months ago

Can someone help me write an appeal for low income senior housing which would entitle me to appeal determination.?

They stated in the letter i exceeds the income limit . The limit is 44,000 I went over by $1,000 dollars (45,000) I am 70 years old I am trying to get out of an apartment that i share with a partner I do not speak with. Staying there has affected my health dearly . I have found it very difficult to find places and I finally found a senior citizen building similar to mines that has parking and everything convenient

IF you are over the limit amount of income, you are over. I am also retired and help support 3 people on my retirement which is not as much as you stated your income is. There is nothing to appeal. Keep looking and be willing to have things not as convenient.

Source(s): 75 years old and not receiving extras because of age

Your health is your problem, not the problem of future housing management. You can offset your income by buying vision and dental insurance, by showing out of pocket medical expenses or other obligations.

As a landlord, with small, low cost rentals, I have a problem with you getting rent assistance with that much income. It's more than I make, with SS, my pension, and income from rentals.

You have to wait until your previous-year's tax return shows an income of LESS than $44,000.

My sister has an annual income of $14,400 a year. She's 76 and in poor health. I think she needs a place more than YOU do. If you get your appeal, then you are stealing accommodations from those who TRULY need it.

When she was 70, she left an abusive marriage of 45 years. Left with no assets and 10 boxes of possessions/clothing. There WERE no assets to divide. She stayed with friends .. a week here and a week there ... until she found a house-sitting (through friends) for a house that was up for sale and they didn't want it to be empty during that time. So she lived there for free.

And by the time the house sold, she had gotten into senior housing.

BTW, she is disabled and has no car.

You are in FAR better shape than her ... so make your life work. She, with far less, did.

What you need to do is explain away at least $1000 your income limit and try again. It's not likely they will listen to an appeal otherwise as there's always an upper limit and people just over that are often trapped by it.

Something like.

Dear Sirs, I am writing to ask you to reconsider my application for senior housing. Although I seem to exceed the upper income limit, this is not accurate because.... and then explain away why you actually receive less than that.