Nj...I raised my cousins son from 18mth to 6yr his biological grandparents took him from me. He is 17 wants to come live with me. Can he?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

This is a matter for your family attorney....call them.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Most likely not. He has been with his Grandparents for 11 years and is only a year away from being of age. Most courts would not change custody at this point with our a compelling reason.

• df
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Idk ask his parents

• Edna
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

According to what you wrote,, he's been living with his biological grandparents for the last 11 years. Why is he just NOW wanting to come live with you?

It's highly unlikely that the Court would remove him from the home he's known for 11 years and let him come live with his cousin, just because he WANTS to do so.

A lot would depend on YOU. You would have to petition the Court for legal guardianship, and you would have to prove that you're in a stable, established environment and that you are financially capable of supporting a 17-year-old boy. .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

It's unlikely that the court would bother with a custody case involving a willing 17 year old. BUT. You would not have legal custody, and that is important for medical care, insurance, liability, etc.

• 9 months ago

Wait a year and he can. At 18, he can marry, buy a house, join the army and smoke. At 17, he cannot.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

He cannot legally move anywhere without parental consent until he is legal age, 18. You can Petition the Court, but it takes a very long time to get through the procedure, and he's already 17, less than a year before he's a legal adult.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

At that age, he can pretty much live where he wants to. If there is a child custody order in place, that would have to be modified, but the courts usually go along with the requests of older kids who want to live with a non custodial parent. You are still a blood relative, so you stand a good chance.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.