Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 9 months ago

Do you think that playing the guitar damages your fingers?

If you play guitar for many years could it affect your fingers?

It will certainly build callouses on the tips of your fingers. Eddie Van Halen says he has arthritis or something from too much playing.

I kind of doubt it. And fact I think it might actually keep your fingers limber and probably delay things like arthritis. I think you could actually be good for your fingers. Yeah you’ll get calluses but they aren’t really harmful they’re just a toughening of the skin and they will help you play better. I think any instrument where you use your fingers is actually quite good because anything you do with your fingers actually stimulates neural pathways in your brain as well. And if you play the drums it’s even better because you’re using all four limbs so you’re even stimulating different parts of your brain more. They say playing the drums is actually helpful for certain neurological conditions like Parkinson’s, etc. Playing any instrument is good they say it delays the onset of things like dementia. Good for emotional issues too. Has been very therapeutic for a lot of famous musicians who otherwise probably would have ended up in the psych unit

• Emdog

:Use it or lose it" Sis had arthritis in her hands, I don't. Small sample, but.... added plus is that it increases your brain power.

• Tony B

I suffer from arthritis which started to affect my fingers maybe twenty years ago. My doctor advised me that, if playing guitar hurt, I should stop playing. He also suggested a small daily dose of Ibuprofen might help.

I ignored the “stop playing advice” but have taken Ibuprofen daily ever since. My fingers are not disfigured or painful generally. The only time they stiffen up is if I don't play for a while - maybe during anillness or when I'm on holiday.

Therefore, I've found that playing guitar actually helped my fingers. I should say though that I normally play every day but not for hours. Nor do I play anything particularly physically demanding.

• Danny

Tony, I also am impressed by the effects of diet and nutrition, and also use daily baby ASA, another anti-inflammation medication. Curiously, my left (fretting) hand fingers are now different than my right's. All still close to the palm, but the right index only to my thumb, as if holding a pick...

• Me2

The British Association for Performing Arts Medicine in York, England, hosted the 1997 Health and the Musician conference.  A paper by Christine Zaza, PhD, presented a review of research of musculoskeletal disorders in musicians.  One conclusion was "The prevalence of PRMDs [playing-related musculoskeletal disorders] in musicians is consistent with the prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders for other workers."

In short, playing an instrument is generally no more or less harmful than other common repetitive tasks.  There is, however, considerable evidence that guitar and piano playing, which involves low-impact movement and moderate effort, can maintain and even improve flexibility when a disorder is present.

• Danny

Thanks for the citation. Given the growing "aging industry", I can't help but wonder what else has been published in the two decades since.

I'm glad you asked! The answer is absolutely, positively no. I've been playing almost daily for the last 57 years and my fingers are just fine. If it has affected my fingers at all it's kept them flexible and strong.

no, but you can get scars youll fingers themselves will be a-ok

I had to quit playing because working on cars messed up my fingers enough.

• atomic fireball

Yeah I hear that but maybe you should try to do it anyway. The finger on my right hand got improperly diagnosed by some idiot doctor here who couldn’t read an x-ray. So I have problems with it but I keep playing. Hurts when I work on the car too.Wrist gets weak, starts hurting, pain in base of thumb

I'd imagine it makes them stronger. The human body isn't weak. Inactivity is what makes people weak. I have a saying, "if you are uncomfortable, then you are doing something right". I'm doing landscaping and hardscapes right now. I keep hearing people b*thing about how this line of work messes up your body. I only see mine growing stronger. Playing the guitar would strengthen your fingers, fill your soul with music, and give you a life skill that most people don't have. I would say a little arthritis in your older years would be well worth it, wouldn't you. People who live with fear, don't really know how to live at all. We got one shot at this life. If you wanna play guitar you damn sure better do so.

Anything is possible playing any instrument for many years. Especially arthritis. Everything should be done in moderation and the correct way. If not then your risk of damage becomes greater.