Diagnosed dengue positive. How dangerous is this?

Just after a few days of reading the news about a 13 year old boy who died of dengue fever in my city I developed severe fever and not surprisingly dengue came to my mind. However I never expected that my fear would come true and the blood test showed dengue NS1 positive with IGM and IGG being negative. My fever seem to get better today (it sarted tuesday night). However I am scared shitless about this. Has anyone of you ever suffered from dengue? How dangerous is it?

• Lili

Most cases are mild and uncomplicated. Even for more serious cases, modern medicine is effective. Just follow medical advice, and you should be fine.

Dengue is usually not all that dangerous if it is recognized and treated early. However, left untreated it can turn into Dengue Hemorrhagic fever, which is serious and life threatening. Modern medicine, especially in first-world countries, is well equipped to treat Dengue, the draw back is that it may not be recognized for what it is, due to the fact that most doctors in the west haven't seen it first hand and have only read about it in the literature. It can be particularly dangerous in third-world countries that don't have the medical resources to treat the disorder.

The Ns1 this tells if the infection is in the body at an early stage,,,, however it could be a number of other infections as well.

IGM with this testit can be confirmed either -or + by the ELISA method. If its postive then then an infection is in progress.

IGG this tells of a past infection.

Sounds like you have an infection in progress but NOT dengue.

Source(s): K STUDENT
  • Tulip

What did the doc that ordered the tests tell you?

at least youre getting better, just cause that boy died dont mean you will

• Pippin

With modern treatment, mortality is less than 1%.

You are over reacting.