Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 9 months ago

Why do old and older people refer anything that is online or on a computer “on the internet” or “on the compute”?

Instead of Snapchat or Facebook or Google, Bing, etc.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Some do, some don't.

You should learn not to stereotype groups of people.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Hi. Ok, ready? ... Here's the knowledge :

1) Because when "older people' were using stuff on a computer they were not permanently connected to the internet through a router / modem, they actually had to tell their computers to DIAL OUT WITH THEIR MODEM.

2) A phone was a phone, not a cameraphone, not an MP3 player, not a GPS, not a Youtube device, not a Snapchat / Twitter / Instagram / Tinder / Fortnight / Facebook, Tindr posting app machine, IT WAS A PHONE - and it required wires in the house or under the ground to payphones in public.

3) There were a lot more choices of things to with Your computer back then because when You DID tell Your modem to dial out to other computers (Your internet modem only contacts a server from Your ISP - look it up) it had the option of dialing any phone number in the world, which could've had a fax machine, TTY device (Deaf people used them), another modem with a computer either hosting & / or receiving files, or even a full-fledged BBS with thnigs like chat groups, FORUMS, Usenet newsgroups, multi-user online games NOTHING like they are now, and so much more.

So when they say "On the computer" it means "NOT on a smartphone or pen and paper". And when they say "on the internet" or "online" it means connecting to somewhere besides Your own home.

There was also a HUGELY popular service called AOL. It was kinda what Facebook strives to be today with all their added games & services, but they don't seem to get the similarities, and foresee the problems AOL had when they rolled out each new feature.

"Back in the day" going online required a few steps & took a huge amount of time out of Your day.

G'Luck!!!

• 9 months ago

So Instead of Snapchat or Facebook or Google, Bing, etc.

So these things really really (really) aren't on a computer or on the internet??

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

because they don't know what Snapchat, or Facebook is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Betcha they could explain a whole lot of mechanical things, like a rear wheel drive transmission in a Plymouth Belvedere, in detail that would leave you in the dust. My Dad once bought his Dad a nice power drill. When he unwrapped it he said (in Polish) - "What do I need this for? I have a shop full of great hand tools!". I am probably old enough to be your Grandma, and was one of the first adopters of electronic and then digital music. Learned on old cable-fed analog decks - which was funny, because my college summer job, I was a phone operator with the SAME EXACT telephone board as Lily Tomlin in SNL. Many older people keep up with technology - many young people know ZERO history.

• donnie
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

I have not noticed this. Maybe it is because their older and not as savvy as younger people. I am not that old and I say those two lines all the time. The older and old people who use the internet, computer, phone, etc do refer directly to websites, apps, etc. I have no idea what your talking about. If I look something up or post something online like here I may say that i saw it on the internet. Or I may say I answered a really dumb question online or I may say I answer on Yahoo Answers.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Your lead on your response was a great draw (Now see here, Sonny!) but your closer was great! The arrogance ofyoung Asker's here is a hoot! My jewelry is older than most of them!

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Why does it matter? Most of us could run rings around you youngsters all day long.

• Pete L
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Because that's the way we think.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.