Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 9 months ago

Why do old and older people refer anything that is online or on a computer “on the internet” or “on the compute”?

Instead of Snapchat or Facebook or Google, Bing, etc.

Some do, some don't.

You should learn not to stereotype groups of people.

Hi. Ok, ready? ... Here's the knowledge :

1) Because when "older people' were using stuff on a computer they were not permanently connected to the internet through a router / modem, they actually had to tell their computers to DIAL OUT WITH THEIR MODEM.

2) A phone was a phone, not a cameraphone, not an MP3 player, not a GPS, not a Youtube device, not a Snapchat / Twitter / Instagram / Tinder / Fortnight / Facebook, Tindr posting app machine, IT WAS A PHONE - and it required wires in the house or under the ground to payphones in public.

3) There were a lot more choices of things to with Your computer back then because when You DID tell Your modem to dial out to other computers (Your internet modem only contacts a server from Your ISP - look it up) it had the option of dialing any phone number in the world, which could've had a fax machine, TTY device (Deaf people used them), another modem with a computer either hosting & / or receiving files, or even a full-fledged BBS with thnigs like chat groups, FORUMS, Usenet newsgroups, multi-user online games NOTHING like they are now, and so much more.

So when they say "On the computer" it means "NOT on a smartphone or pen and paper". And when they say "on the internet" or "online" it means connecting to somewhere besides Your own home.

There was also a HUGELY popular service called AOL. It was kinda what Facebook strives to be today with all their added games & services, but they don't seem to get the similarities, and foresee the problems AOL had when they rolled out each new feature.

"Back in the day" going online required a few steps & took a huge amount of time out of Your day.

G'Luck!!!

So Instead of Snapchat or Facebook or Google, Bing, etc.

So these things really really (really) aren't on a computer or on the internet??

• Bill-M

because they don't know what Snapchat, or Facebook is.

Betcha they could explain a whole lot of mechanical things, like a rear wheel drive transmission in a Plymouth Belvedere, in detail that would leave you in the dust. My Dad once bought his Dad a nice power drill. When he unwrapped it he said (in Polish) - "What do I need this for? I have a shop full of great hand tools!". I am probably old enough to be your Grandma, and was one of the first adopters of electronic and then digital music. Learned on old cable-fed analog decks - which was funny, because my college summer job, I was a phone operator with the SAME EXACT telephone board as Lily Tomlin in SNL. Many older people keep up with technology - many young people know ZERO history.

• donnie

I have not noticed this. Maybe it is because their older and not as savvy as younger people. I am not that old and I say those two lines all the time. The older and old people who use the internet, computer, phone, etc do refer directly to websites, apps, etc. I have no idea what your talking about. If I look something up or post something online like here I may say that i saw it on the internet. Or I may say I answered a really dumb question online or I may say I answer on Yahoo Answers.

• Mamianka

Your lead on your response was a great draw (Now see here, Sonny!) but your closer was great! The arrogance ofyoung Asker's here is a hoot! My jewelry is older than most of them!

Why does it matter? Most of us could run rings around you youngsters all day long.

• Pete L

Because that's the way we think.