In what year are autonomous vehicles going to be mass produced and for sale to the general public?

Please give me details with a source or 2 with your answers, if any of you can! That'd be very greatly appreciated. A source or 2 with each and every answer isn't exactly needed, but it's so preferred.

Car manufacturers and the legal system are still at least 10-20 years away from being able to offer fully autonomous vehicles for public road use due to both the technology required and the way the legal system is currently set up. If I had to put a bet on a number, I'd predict they're closer to 20 years out.

A couple of major hurdles autonomous vehicles face are that human drivers often times behave completely illogically (so it's VERY hard to teach/program an autonomous vehicle to "defend itself" while driving and still make its way to its location) and that autonomous cars are and will be held to a FAR higher legal standard than human drivers when it comes to collision avoidance, injuries, and "safety" as a whole.

For example, if your neighbor causes a collision and a person in the other vehicle goes to the hospital to be checked out, it doesn't make the national news, the local news, or ANY news. If the same thing happens and the autonomous car is the cause of the collision, it's top story on the local news and probably a top story on national news as well. The company operating the autonomous car is almost certain to be sued and the hit to their reputation and the reputation of ALL autonomous vehicles will be substantial.

Now imagine if the someone in the autonomous car collision died... Again, that's 100% a national news headline. But if someone dies in the "neighbor" caused crash, it might or might not even make local news... after all, 547 other traffic fatalities caused by human drivers have occurred that very same DAY (and EVERY day) in the USA.

If you're waiting around for an autonomous car to do 100% of your driving, I believe you've got a long wait ahead.

this will never happen due to the unsolvable legal ramifications concerning even the most minor of accidents,

let alone a major one [already a pedestrian has been killed by one of these boondoggles].

here is the real deal the systems have to be so sophisticated that they will collapse under themselves.

here, think back to the age of rail service under steam power, the engines made more power and individually could pull much larger loads than a diesel/electric locomotive, so why the change? because the cost to build a steam locomotive is three times the cost of a diesel electric and approximately 8 times more expensive to maintain.

NOTE: already there are taxi's, airlines, and buses for those who can't or won't drive themselves

I think they first got to make ONE that works:-so that is the stumbling block.

It happens when it happens. Then ALL cars will be driving the posted speed limit(when weather conditions and lighting conditions are PERFECT) and nobody FLIES PAST anybody. Right now peoples judgement is still better than any AI

Sorry but you should have asked yesterday night. The only reliable crystal ball in existence rolled of my desk and smashed to bits when we had a small earthquake early this morning. From now on I will not be able to predict the DISTANT future accurately.

• Erik

You're asking people to predict the future. It's like asking who is going to win the Super Bowl this year. I think it will be a long time, because the general public is scared of something going wrong with them, and killing people.

No. No source. This is Yahoo Answers, not a college exam. It will be a long time before autonomous vehicles are common - decades. One of the major problems is that they must strictly follow the law - especially the speed limit. Who drives the speed limit? My 82 year old Aunt Fanny drives the speed limit and people fly past her honking and flipping the bird.