Do you think bullying is a great way to teach a child resilience?

I'm Cyberschooling my child year because she's been dealing with bullies at her School since Kindergarten, Just one incident after the next and the teachers and principal seem unable or unwilling to discipline the perpetrators. She's in the 4th grade now.

A relative of mine said I'm crippling my child by pulling her out of the School and that I should make her tough it out so she can learn "resiliency"

What are your opinions?

I don't think it's bullies that destroy children. It's the process of sending them back to the place where their bullies are is what does it. A person should be able to ignore a bully, that is resilience. The problem with school is they don't have that option. So they deal with it over.. and over.. and over... SCHOOL is why all these young people are killing themselves.. not bullies. To feel so trapped and so burdened by such a mandatory act like going to school... Is the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life. Humans have an innate desire the learn. It's only that desire is not to be controlled. We are not all the same, and we don't have a passion to learn the same things. Public education has failed in more ways than one. I think it's about time for change.

Having to deal with bullies will NOT make your child stronger. It will make her a permanent victim, she'll become agitated on school morning, start being sick with fear, and will come to hate school days. This bullying must be dealt with even if, in the long run, it means changing her school. (That should be a last resort though).

My son was bullied (by a male teacher). It became so bad that he was being sick every morning from Mon - Fri but was fine at weekends. I eventually got out of my son the reason for him always feeling sick on those days and saw the headmistress. She agreed to move our son to another class and he flourished.

It isn't only children who can be bullies, it can be teaching staff, a caretaker, other children's parents etc. Bullying should never be allowed but we cannot always deal with it. If moving school is the only way that must be done but tell the staff what is happening first and only threaten moving your child if they will not co-operate.

No, but it makes you a sadist.

No, but that doesn't mean the lessons of conflict resolution don't need to be taught. If she doesn't learn and be able to practice this concept she will be at a large disadvantage when cyber/home schooling is no longer an option, or worse … when adulthood begins.

Absolutely not, bullying is wrong and it can also hurt someone and/ or cause someone to commit suicide.

• Not

No, I think you made a good choice.

However, There are many things you cannot learn through the internet, so see Cyberschooling as a temporary solution. It would make sense to scout for schools with good environments. If you place your daughter in a good crowd it will act as a barrier against bad habits and behaviour for the rest of her life.

So you stopped at the school level and never pursued it through the district level and explained about how you are entitled to press charges if they refuse to address your child being physically hurt at school?

I think "bullying" has become an overused term that's used to describe absolutely every sort of conflict between two human beings.

I do think resilience is important, but it all comes down to the details. I wouldn't rule out pulling her from school, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Private school or moving to another district would be more desirable options if I felt things were that bad.

I was bullied most of my school life, but about a year into high school it clicked with me that if I don't react and don't give them a chance then they get bored and stopped. I also started kickboxing.

i think she should go to another school