10 yo home alone to get ready for school everyday?

What are your thoughts on a 10 year old staying at home alone everyday for an hour or longer to get himself ready for school and then walk to the bus school bus all alone where there are no other kids at his bus stop? Whether is rain, snow or sign. The bus does not pick him up in front of the house, he has to walk to the stop sign to even see when the bus is coming. He has no cell phone for contact to anyone. so if the bus is running behind he will never know. Needing to hear opinions on this!

You could call the school and ask if there is another family in your neighborhood that could help out with your son before school, if you don’t know any of your neighbors.

Since he's only 10 years old, you should have a specific person "look out" for him while you aren't there in the morning.

Another thought is calling the bus company and ask if they could pick him up in front of your home rather than him walking alone to the bus stop.

Take care,

SM, Counselor

Boys Town National Hotline

1-800-448-3000

What's your source?

Www.parenting.org

It depends on the maturity level of the kid. I would definitely get him a cell phone and tell him to call everyday when he boards the bus and put the phone up while in school ( that could be tough). I would see if there is a trusted neighbor that could help out. When I was in junior high I watched my neighbors son in the morning and we would walk to school together. She brought him over when she left for work so that way she could lock her home up. She paid me weekly too.

Toddlers probably should not be left alone in a situation like this .... something could happen

Some 10 year olds are mature enough to handle themselves for a couple hours. Probably should have a cell phone though. I wouldn't do it, but maybe the family just doesn't have any choice right now.

• Tomalochk

This particular toddler MIGHT be mature enough , might not ....who could possibly know ?

It is not illegal. It's a matter of choice. My oldest son could have handled an hour alone. My youngest, no way. It depends on the kid. The bus stop worries are ridiculous though. My kids have walked to their bus stops since they were 9. Almost all kids around here do. They have umbrellas for the rain and boots for the snow. They are prepared. We need to stop coddling our kids so much.

I actually have a child on my daughter's stop like this. Everyday, the father just dumps this kid at the bus stop with other parent's and leaves. Rain, sleet or snow, he's out their all alone and it annoys me because I have to stay with him until the bus arrives. I don't have too but I do cause it's the decent thing to do. The saddest part is the kid stays directly across the street and has 2 parents and multiple siblings so I know for a fact somebody could stay him. Sheer laziness.

• Tazmom029 months agoReport

Do you live in a bad neighborhood? I have never known people to stay at a bus stop with their kid! Why not just drop them off at school then?

• y

I think Latchkey kid, we already know how that worked out. But then again, a home needs to still be financially supported, and a family has got to do, what they got to do.

Our school system shifted the school start times one hour later, so a lot of parents are having to make this decision. If you have to leave for work, there’s not much else you can do, unless you have a neighbor who can come by in the morning.

For the right kid, this might not be a problem. Help him get everything ready the night before — school bag, clothes, lunch, something for breakfast, whatever he needs to get out the door I’d definitely get him a cell phone — you can put strict parental controls on it, but if he’s alone, it’s basic safety equipment. I would also contact the school system and ask if they can have the bus stop at your house — if he’s the only kid at the stop, they might make the change.

• Tri-Harder

Then why are you asking us? You already know it's illegal. If you're considering doing it, don't. If you're asking if it's okay the child's other parent to do it, you have your answer. Report them.

you are correct on the other options. what happen was the parents who have shared parenting were living in the same school district. mom being residential. she decided to move and cause a bunch of drama. end result. the father had transportation, daycare before and after school for him and a way to his school. the courts granted mom permission to move the child from the school by lying to the courts that she had everything taken care of and she doesn't. he now has to be responsible for himself everyday like this. And i was looking for opinions on how others felt about it.

• Tri-Harder

....what? That's one long run-on sentence that doesn't make sense.

• Faith

I wouldn't feel safe doing this if this was my child. Is there a neighbor in the neighborhood or nearby who can walk with him to the bus stop? Maybe hire a babysitter for that hour. There are plenty of other options.