Are 2000s model Jeeps reliable (2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo)?

I'm looking at cars to buy on Craig's List, I want an SUV but have heard that Jeeps have a bad reputation for transmission or other issues. Most of my previous cars have been Japanese, so I don't know about this one.

Looking at an '04 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 220,000 miles, described as:

"It has 6 cylinder legendary engine

that is indestructible and good transmission."

For $2700. The ad says single owner. Should I consider this if they have maintenance records to show?

I just need a good reliable daily "city driver" (southern California) with some cargo capacity.

I like the WJ's and they go for fairly cheap. There's no such thing as a perfect machine so at least when things do break they're cheap and easy to fix.

• Sagery

NO! Jeeps have horrible reliability.

The price is too high for the mileage.

The WJ Grand Cherokees are long-lasting and reliable, when maintained properly. The 4.0L motor is long lasting, again, when maintained properly.

I sold my 1999 WJ with 140K miles for $2,500 earlier this year, but I had all receipts and repair history. Plus, almost everything wearable was brand new within 2,000 miles.

I still see a few of the previous generation GC's on the road, and the 1999-2004 also. They can last a good long time but by now it is pretty old and has a lot of miles. Unless it is rare exceptional condition for the age and mileage, the price seems high. It will use lots of gas as that 4.0L is a thirsty one because it is an old, yet reliable engine design.

• g

For $2700? No way in hell. Half that, maybe, if the seller can show you proof it has been properly and fully serviced and maintained the last 15 years. If they can't, keep shopping.

• .

You shouldn't buy a used car with over 100,000 miles unless it's single-owner car with clear records of all the required maintenance being performed.

• cmac'm

Anything over 200k miles is not worth more than $1500 in my book.