Penguin Lover asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

Is the neighbour leaving the dog home alone depressing?

I just can hear him cry out loud. 😢

• J C

When you see your neighbor, mention in a kind way that their dog cries when they leave. It is possible that they are not aware of it. You can also offer to walk the dog while they are gone. Do you live in an apartment? Pets are allowed only if they are not a nuisance to the other tenants. If it's a privately owned home, then you have less recourse. Not enough information here - is this a new dog, adjusting to a new home? Is this a neglected dog? Is it a few whines followed by silence or does it go on for hours? Talking to the dog's owner is your first step.

Yea it may be depressing to them because they miss their owners.

not for me no..............

• PR

You could offer to watch their dog during the day, when they are not at home. They may not even know the dog is doing this. When our first dog was a puppy and we were training her, we did not know she made a real fuss when we left. We were alerted by our neighbor.

If you offer to help, or at least let the pup out to potty and for a short break, while they are away this may help the pup, the neighbor, and you might like it.

I recommend tape recording or video-taping his dog crying, then letting your neighbor watch it.

• Jojo

The neighbors may be unaware that the dog is making a noise when they leave it, or their may be a good reason eg: A puppy learning to be left, or a new dog not yet settled in to its new home, etc.

It does not necessarily mean the dogs owners are being unkind.

If the noise is upsetting you, ask the neighbours if they know about the noise and it may put your mind at rest.

I agree that it is very distressing to hear a dog left like this - but if you can, why not have a quiet talk to them about what you are hearing, on the basis of you hear the dog and are worried. Which is probably true! They may not know the dog is upset.

We had adjoining neighbours who bought a Westie (despite having been turned down by Westie Rescue as they worked full time). I couldn't stand hearing the puppy crying and in the end, went round and offered to have her during the daytime, if only to give her lunch!! We had a puppy pen to keep her safe in. Eventually I decided she had to get used to their life-style, so she went back to being left far too long, in my opinion. They did buy another puppy but then thank goodness, MOVED.

That property was a nightmare as before those two, we had a single youth who'd come back from work and start playing his electric guitar. In a semi-detached property with full sound!! Unfortunately we couldn't move as we were renting and with no means of buying elsewhere.